Riga to Kuldiga


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Kurzeme Region » Kuldiga
August 5th 2008
Published: August 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Venta Falls



Got up in the morning and headed out to the nearby pastry shop to stock up with lots of delicious goodies, actually considering setting up an export business purchasing these amazing bites for less than 20p and selling them to the desperate foolish british public for about two pounds, they'd still be amazing value at that. After monching down some of the aforementioned tasty goods we headed to the bus station to practice our best latvian and purchase a ticket to the provincial town of Kuldiga, home to the Ventas Rumbas - the widest waterfall in Europe at around 250m even if it is only 2m high (even thats dependant on water level or its only 1.2m high).



However when we arrived in Kuldiga we weren't actually dropped off at the bus station but a supermarket which we had no idea where it was on the map. We suspect this was due to some old woman bantering onto the driver and negotiating this drop off for the whole coach without us realising. After a few wrong turns we eventually located our hostel which was in an amazing location right next to the waterfall on an artificial island which had been created for no other reason than paying people to dig to give them something to do...

Our visit to Kuldiga turned into a rather lazy affair, with such a great location there wasn't really much need to stray far from the hostel. We only really ventured out for dinner to another tiny town centre and stopped at a place called Stenders which was in a rather nice old style two tier wooden pavilion in the pedestrianised street. Here we feasted upon two appetisers, a main meal, a beer each and a coffee and a cocktail (called Adam and containing rum and grenadine) for the vast sum of about seven pound each.

We then retired back to the hostel for the night and admired the view out of our window of the falls and one of the oldest brick built bridges in Europe. Altogether Kuldiga was a very scenic and calm place.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0433s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb