Let me at the Bolognese


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 13th 2014
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.4944, 11.3492

Today we needed to leave Tuscany. Franco came to meet us for check out at 1000am and we were on the road for Bologna.

The drive was a couple of hours and then it took us a bit longer than it should have (ie lost) to find the B&B. We found it, and checked in. Our host Francesca was lovely and the B&B was a nice surprise by Italian standards. Beautiful lush surroundings, modern decor, excellent shower and very comfortable.

We quickly unpacked and jumped on a bus for the old town. Bologna is a walled city and the buildings are very grand. Our first stop was a market at Piazza Minghetti. Spotted a few things to buy already!! Francesca had provided us a walking map so we followed that for a few hours to see the sites.

A very interesting stop was the Anatomical Theatre with a marble slab in the middle where corpses were dissected to teach students anatomy. There were two statues showing the muscles of the body. Very cool!

G went into her first, and probably last, church for the trip, Basilica di San Domenico. The frescos were amazing and the church was huge.

We also saw the twin towers of Bologna. Bologna has it's very own leaning tower.

We learnt that Bologna used to have canals like Venice, hundred of years ago, and there was a canal with rushing water down in the University district. That was very unexpected.

I had to have bolognese. I love bolognese at home but hadn't tried the real thing. Was very nice but I was a little disappointed. I'm sure it was exactly what bolognese should be, but not what I was used to. Still nice but a bit bland.

After a quick digestive we caught the bus back to the B&B with the locals and hit the sack. Needed to check out and travel to France tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th September 2014

Hmmmmmm - The Slab looks interesting. I wonder if they used Medical Typists in those days..... could get messy tho.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb