2nd day in italy-perfect


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 24th 2013
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

In VernazzaIn VernazzaIn Vernazza

Started off a little chilly before the hike. we warmed up fast.
Geo: 44.3522, 9.2308

After a delicious buffet breakfast at our hotel, we hopped on the train to vernazzo. It promised to be a gorgeous day, sunny and high of 60. Perfect hiking weather. we are going to do the big hike from the town of Vernazza to the town of Monterossa. It is a rugged 2 hour hike with lots of climbing, steps, narrow pathways and great views.

We shopped around a bit in Vernazza and then hit the trail. Though steep, it wasn't as difficult as when we did it several years ago, but we did all 4 hikes the same day last time. Speed touring. One of the reasons we came back with more time.

We warmed up quickly and shed our jackets. It was much more fun this time, taking the hike at a leisurely pace and enjoying the views. It was also much more crowded on the trail. I think we are more into the tourist season this time. Along the way, in the middle of nowhere, there is a sweet little old man selling jewelry that he makes. It was exquisite and very reasonable. Dee and I both bought some. I even bargained him down. Gary would have been proud of me. Once we stopped to buy, then all the women started stopping. I think he liked us. A great break in the hike.

We finished in the town of Monterossa and went to a Rick Steve's recommended restaurant for an excellent late lunch. The italians are a little more flexible than the french about mealtimes. One of the waitresses was from New Jersey (she fell in love with an Italian) so we had plenty of ice. the focaccia was amazing, with three dipping sauces: pesto, olive oil and olive spread. My lasagna was perfect and I got my favorite chocolate soufflé for dessert. Dot had vegetable ravioli in an a walnut cream sauce.. All of the breads were great. Mary had a disgusting anchovy spaghetti. She liked it. I'll put food pics up in a separate entry for the foodies.

Of course, gelato afterwards. We had a little (very little) life left in us, so we took the train to the town of Siestre Levonta to tour around and look for one of Rick's recommended gelato shops. Getting off the train, it looked like a crappy town, but following Rick's directions to the gelato, we ended up in a charming pedestrian area with lots of cute shops. The gelato was a big hit. In a single scoop, they will give you two different flavors, whip cream and toppings of your choice. Awesome.

Too stuffed to go out for a big dinner. Dee went out ON HER OWN in Italy and picked us up some focacio bread, olive oil and cheese for dinner. It was perfect. Back out to stroll along the riverfront in search of gelato, enjoying the full moon, and everyone but us walking their dogs.

Another good day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

All of us along the wayAll of us along the way
All of us along the way

Before Mary and Paul zoomed ahead


24th May 2013

I have been negligent in adding my comments but have thoroughly enjoyed the photos/commentary. Being a veteran of "the hike" myself, I'm sure you enjoyed the spectacular views and natural beauty of Italia. Divertirsi!
24th May 2013

I think after that hike you could have 3 or 4.
24th May 2013

You guys do have a few years on them.
24th May 2013

What a lovely little village!
24th May 2013

So colorful!!!!!!!!!!!! The water is beautiful,
24th May 2013

Cute!! I bet she's glad to have him there.
24th May 2013

How sweet!
24th May 2013

Those steps looks so uneven & dangerous. At least there's a railing to help. Chris looked like she was having trouble because they were so steep.
24th May 2013

Looks like killer steps - hope the whole hike wasn't like that!
24th May 2013

Love the colorful buildings. That water does look a little dangerous. I hope MAtt hasn't planned hikes like this in Hawaii, I'd never make it. We ran into someone selling jewelry like that on the cruise. Helps to have a break.
24th May 2013

Love the pictures! Beautiful scenery, cute group. You guys earned that gelato!
25th May 2013

I know. We have to see what we are wearing to tell us apart
25th May 2013

Dot and Chris or Chris and Dot - you look like twins. Eat for two!
25th May 2013

I think it is the most beautiful hike we have every done, and better the second time around...more relaxed, and much less tiring. Last time it was pretty hot.
25th May 2013

Yeah, we beat them by like....an hour! ;)
25th May 2013

We actually had 3 or 4.
28th May 2013

Beautiful!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb