maryand1suitcase.italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 8th 2012
Published: September 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Ah, Roma it's exciting, hot, tiring and fascinating all at once. Our arrival yesterday had an exciting twist when some of Gary's luggage was left in the van from the airport. Our driver, Stephano, generously brought it by later in the afternoon allowing for a much needed siesta. We were so jet lagged that all we could manage was a walk to the Colosseum, which is only a few blocks from our tiny Roman apartment, and dinner.

Today we "did" the Vatican. Talk about sensory overload. The good old boys sure knew how to collect art. There are literally 2 halls a quarter of a mile long with room after room filled to the brim with paintings, sculpture, tapestry, mosaics, frescoes....in addition to the picture gallery, Egyptian gallery, Raphael rooms, and an ancient sculptuer gallery. The Sistine Chapel is at the very end of one of the long halls and is much smaller than I imagined. If I hadn't recognized the ceiling, I would have thought is was just another room. Every inch is covered with Michelangelo's detailed frescoes. The crowds make it difficult to see, but I finally found a seat on the side and just stared at the ceiling for about 30 minutes.

Next was St. Peter's Basilica. The design and art work are amazing, but the size is just plain huge. There was easily 1000 people in the basilica while I was there, and it wasn't crowded. The guide book says it is 2 football fields long and the dove in the window at the front has the span of a 747! The church was designed by Michelangelo and the dome is a work of art. He died before it was finished; maybe the only way to escape from work ordered by the pope. His Pieta is also in St. Peter's and I must say the original is beautiful. The marble almost glows; it's much better than any copy I have seen.

There is so much to see here and too little time. Tomorrow we are going to the Colosseum and the Foum and if we hold up Trevi fountain and the Spanish Steps. Then it's off to meet my sister in Pisa.

Ciao, Mary



Ciao

Mary


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb