Day 9 - Rome, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
August 26th 2006
Published: September 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Saturday August 26th, 2006
Day 9
Rome, Italy

Today I met another Australia girl, her name was Brenda and she was from Sydney. We got ready and decided to head out to do a tour of the Colosseum. The tour went for about 45minutes.
Originally the Colosseum was capable of seating about 50,000 spectators, it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. It was completed in 80AD and remained in use for nearly 500years. It is now in a severely ruined condition due to damage caused by earthquakes and stone robbers. It really was quite spectacular and you can only imagine how grand it would have been back in the days.
After this we headed out to take some photos from the outside. We came across this guy dressed up as a gladiator who tries to call you over to take a photo with him then tries to charge people for the photos, much like the ones on Hollywood Blvd in LA. Apparently these guys can get quite aggressive though, so we stayed well clear of them.
After we headed over to the Palatine for a wander. It all was starting to look the same though, lots of ruins.
So we headed back to the hostel for a rest and dinner. We watched some TV then I went to bed as I was heading back to London tomorrow morning.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0208s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb