Venice at last


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 3rd 2010
Published: September 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Four hours past our predicted arrival time, we landed in Venice. And found that we didn't have a clue how to get to our B&B. Ted tried calling on a local phone and actually got through, but apparently 0.20 euro only gives you 2 minutes of talk time. So, loaded for bear, I called. "Oh yes, Madame Trepanier, it's very eazzy to arrive here. 20 minutes." Once our landlady slowed down, she gave directions that I was able to understand and follow. One more train and as we were looking for our street (Via Rizzardi), a nice older lady came and tried to help, but quickly passed us off to a younger woman. Both very nice and eager to help. The younger woman said although she'd lived in Venice for 16 years, she wasn't familiar with all the little streets. But she asked yet another group of people who pointed out the way. Finally we arrived at the Casa Della Gardenia. Our landlady showed us to our room--yay! a bathroom attached!!--and said to see her before we went out.

After a shower, I felt slightly more human and off we went with directions. Eazzy verry easy, very small town. (hah!) So off we went again on a train to the Grand Canal. There was a steady stream of tourists following the Canal which is nothing but shops for tourists. I was so tired and it was so commercial, I didn't really enjoy it. We did stop for dinner at a little cafe and had some lasagne. Then home--and we did make it, after only getting lost once or twice! I crawled into bed and slept for 10.5 hours. Did not move once all night!!

Today we followed the landlady's recommendations and went to Murano and Burano--small islands off of Venice. Murano is famous for glassmaking and we did get to see a demonstration of how a fancy glass is made--very impressive and the prices reflected that! We stopped in a small restaurant for lunch since it had begun raining hard--seemed only right. Lunch was wonderful and very relaxed. No rushing for lunch and we polished off a 0.75L of wine with no problem at all. Murano was more fun than Venice, but we hadn't been to Burano yet. Our landlady said it was a "little gem, that was an absolute must to see."
She was so right! All the houses are painted bright colors and everyone there is much more laid back. It was obviously more of a family town, with kids everywhere and pretty little squares all over. It's a very small island, only 300 meters across and just really nice. Burano is famous for its lacemaking. And one of the first shops I went into-I was hooked. There was a little old grandma with her needle making lace. And I found some nice stuff there--and Joan Shanks said I should buy what I want, cause who knows when I'll be back--so I did! With thanks to Mom!😊

On the way home, we got off on the far side of Venice from San Marco and walked back towards the tourists. On the way we got to see more of the neighborhoods of Venice and it was far nicer than walking along the Grand Canal. And since I wasn't as tired as yesterday, I was able to hit quite a few more shops--can we say .... purses???

Tomorrow we leave for a day long train trip to an olive farm in southern Italy near Cosenza. Keep your fingers crossed that it runs on time!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



3rd September 2010

shopping
Peggy, when i told Mike the story about me telling you to buy something, he thought you were going to say that the storekeeper remembered me. Funny man. I think i was at the same purse shop, some of the best purse shopping was in Venice. It rained the first time i was there and i didn't like it the next time was sunny and much better. It sounds like you are having fun. I hope you like Cosenza, just the fact that our relatives came from there made it more interesting. Can't wait to read more, love Joan
8th September 2010

WOW!!
I love seeing all the pictures, glad your having a great time. Love you both!
20th September 2010
Piazza San Marco

good piazza
it's really very nice post, piazza San Marco very interesting ..............

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb