Flying crazy, beautiful fireworks and walking in the mountains


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 13th 2010
Published: July 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So hubby went off for a whole week to Zurich and left me alone with parents...eek. I did manage to survive thankfully and we had a rather entertaining time without him. Actually we were out and about a lot more than when he is at home.

Flying Crazy



So hubby's dad is big into airoplanes as he worked at the military airbase when he was younger. So when I showed interest in going to see the Pattuglia Acrobatica Nazionale:Frecce Tricolori we were off. It was all happening on Lake Garda in Bardolino. We decided to go to La Rocco di Garda, as they were expecting over 20,000 people to be there, which has beatiful views over the lake to Bardolino on one side and Garda on the other. We parked at the bottom and it took us a leisurely 20 minute walk to get to the top. It was a very hot day so we were quick to head and find some shade. Unfortunately we were a bit too far away to appreciate much of the preamble before the Pattuglia. They had helicopters, the fire helicopter dropping its water, small planes and the like before which were all small dots on my camera!!! The Pattuglia itself did not disappoint though my camera did not capture very good pictures I am afraid. Does not help with the typical Italian hazy sky!!! They are very loud and at one point they flew straigt over our heads and I seriously thought I was going to jump out of my skin. These guys are really brave and put on a good show!!! I will try and attach a video so you can appreciate it better, otherwise google it!

Beautiful Fireworks



The next evening after a quiet morning at home we decided to head to Villafranca mainly to see the fireworks that was being held at the Castle for the celebration of their patron Saints Peter and Paul. They also had a fair for the younger generation, lots of market stalls, great food (we so should have gone before dinner), and oh yeah Mr and Mrs Vicenza! After a leisurely stroll around about and yes we did watch some of the fashion show for Mr and Mrs Vicenza it was time for the real reason why we were there to see some fireworks. Slowly they turned off all the lights along the main street so that you could have a great view. I don't know what I was expecting but then we certainly got something special. They really put on a good show. The fireworks were timed exactly to the music and they were big and beautiful. The Castle as a backdrop was used really well and it was 20 minutes of blissful beauty.

Walking



We went for two walks this week in the mountains close to Verona. The first was to La Carega. It was a nice easy path upwards with lots of stops along the way just as I like. It also gave me the great opportunity to take lots of pictures. The views as usual were pretty beautiful with different Refuges to stop at along the way. It was only after 20 minutes of walking through a small wooded area that we reached Passo Pertico Refuge where hubby's parents were ready to have a coffee and a sweet. Already! I hear you say but hey. We then pretty much just had to follow a road slowly making its way up to our fruit and water break stop. It was lovely noticing the pretty mountain flowers along the way and hubby's parents enjoyed pointing them out. Then it was a winding smaller path up to Cima Carega 2215m. A bit more challenging but nothing difficult to handle. The landscape changes a lot at this point and you really do feel as if you are in the mountain group itself. We stopped halfway as we were desperate for lunch and so had a deserved cup of tea when we made it to the top to Refuge Fracaroli. No surprises that there was even a bit of snow when we reached the top. The weather also did what it can do when you reach the top of summit and the clouds rolled in and we had a bit of rain on our way down. It was not to spoil what was a beautiful day.

Our next walk was in Lessina. This was a long circular walk but there was not much uphill involved and the scenery was all about the grassy fields (its seriously like they go on for miles), the malgas (which are there for the farmers in summer to tend their animals) and of course lots of cows and their poo! Our first stop was at Malga Lessinia where they make some yummy local cheese and the guys were very happy to let me in to take some pictures. After a refreshing ice tea we made our way to Monte Castelberto which has views which goes on for miles. Unfortunately the weather was not on my side and the view was not all that clear but it was still a great spot to stop and have some well deserved lunch. It was mostly downhill after that back to the car. The best part was freshening up a bit and heading to a small local village for some dinner. I treated myself to a first course of pasta with local cheese and spinach, hearty stew with polenta and then for desert a pear and chocolate pie....YUMMY!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb