Spain, CRUISE (Italy), Austria, Gemany, England


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 17th 2009
Published: August 31st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 22: Livorno - LuccaDay 22: Livorno - LuccaDay 22: Livorno - Lucca

Tuscan countryside
Day 22: 17th. July: Week 4: TUSCANY: Port of Livorno (Florence, Pisa, Livorno) - City of LUCCA: Temp 36C: Vera and I had opted for a tour of the walled city of Old Lucca, home to the ancient Etruscans, reached by driving through the Tuscan countryside with the occasional glimpse of the Leaning Tower of Pisa in the distance. We had a guided walk along narrow streets, through the medieval center with a stroll from one piazza to another to the Duomo - the Romanesque cathedral with Gothic interior and holding the magnificent painting of The "Last Supper" by Tintoretto. Lucca was a lovely city, small and quiet with a lot of residents riding bikes.
Back on board the ship we sampled the English afternoon tea and chatted with other passengers then watched as the ship sailed out of the harbor.

Day 23: The day we were to visit Rome, but due to weather conditions - that is rough seas and winds of 35 - 40 knots the landing was aborted. We all played Mini-golf on deck as the wind blew and the ship rolled. Great fun.

Day 24: 19th. July: CAMPANIA: Naples - Pompeii: Temp 28C: With the ship berthed in Naples we made our way by coach, and with views of the Bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius, to Pompeii - to walk the amazing ruins of the Roman city that was buried by volcanic ash from the nearby Mount Vesuvius. The city was so much larger than I expected so it was easy to spend several hours amongst the ruins, looking at the plaster casts of persons found, frescoes and mosaic inlaid floors..
We later had a tour of the Naples, lunch at a Neapolitan pizzeria and a visit to the National Archaeological Museum where we spent hours admiring artifacts, frescoes, mosaics, paintings and more. Fabulous.

Day 25: 20th. July: Was spent at sea, giving us a sleep in and rest from all the activity of sightseeing as there was much more to come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Day 24: NaplesDay 24: Naples
Day 24: Naples

Neapolitan pizza
Day 24: NaplesDay 24: Naples
Day 24: Naples

National Archaeological Museum
Day 24: NaplesDay 24: Naples
Day 24: Naples

National Archaeological Museum
Day 24: NaplesDay 24: Naples
Day 24: Naples

National Archaeological Museum


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb