Dubrovnik to Messina


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 2nd 2022
Published: May 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Having been to Dubrovnik before ,we didn't go on a tour but walked around the town. It was heaving as there were mini Olympic races for kids down one of the main streets. We dived off into a side street for a coffee and then strolled around ending up at the Aquarium which was very good before going back to the ship. We had been destined to sail to Naxos in Sicily but the Captain had had a warning of choppy seas which would not have been good for tendering off the guests so he changed course for Messina which is a safe dock. We knew we were in Sicily as soon as we walked into town. Cars honking horns, double parking and the Sicilian attitude to red street lights!! We strolled around the town and then caught the little tourist train which took us all around to lovely views over the Straits of Messina and we ended up in the Piazza del Duomo where there is a lovely bell tower which is full of automatons which all go into action at midday. The lion waved its flag and roared. The cockerel flapped it's wings and cockadoodledooed. Christ rose out of his sepulchre and angels paraded around. It was worth seeing before we walked back to the ship for a long lovely lunch (stopping at the pool bar beforehand of course!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Cathedral in MessinaCathedral in Messina
Cathedral in Messina

Worth going into as fabulous wooden ceiling and mosaic altar


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb