Reflecting On Experience


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
November 16th 2006
Published: November 25th 2006
Edit Blog Post

"By reading we learn what we did not know; by reflection we retain what we have learned."
-- Isidore of Seville (apparently the patron saint of computer technicians; computer users; computers; the Internet; )

If you replace "reading" with "experiencing", that describes why it was so wonderful to travel together with Linda, Leslie, and Carrie. We experienced many things together, but each from our own point of view. We also went our separate ways to do our "own thing" on a number of occassions. Either way we came back together over breakfast, lunch, drinks, dinner . . . and "reflected" . . . discussed our experiences and our perspectives. And that is how we truly absorb the benefit that we get from the experiences. This is true whatever and wherever those experiences might be; from the necropolis beneath the basilica to a pub in London. And of course writing in my journal is my other way of reflecting. That is why I am so verbose; all those experiences demanded that much reflection!

I read this one in another travelblog.com entry (by Ellen Around the World) and liked it:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain

Now we need to figure out where we should go for my 40th birthday in Fall 2007; where should the next round of travel experiences originate? Feel free to make suggestions!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb