Trevi Festival


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
October 14th 2018
Published: October 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

14 October 2018

The festival activities came thick and fast today.

We had to be back in town by 9.00 to see the start of a 37.5k Mountain Bike event with 1500m ascent which followed a route around the steep town streets and into the local hills. There were hundreds of competitors, both serious racers and fun bikers.

Going on at the same time was an archery competition in the grounds of a 16th century villa. All the competitors were dressed in medieval clothes and moved around a series of different targets.

The Palio dei Terzieri, the main event of the weekend, took place in the afternoon and we managed to get some tickets to sit amongst the locals and see the excitement. The Palio remembers the tenacity of the young men of Trevi who rebuilt the town after it was destroyed by Duke Theopoldo of Spoleto in 1214. It was a race against time by three teams of 20 who pushed in relay a 430kg steel shod cart on an 800m uphill course along a road above one of the town walls and finished in the centro storcio where the time was recorded when one of the team rang the town bell. The red team, the winners, recorded a time of 2 minutes 27 seconds. We sat next to a very friendly Dutch couple who explained what was going on to us.

An exhilarating day came to an end with a huge thunderstorm, but fortunately we were back in the van by then.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb