The Italian experience


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
July 5th 2011
Published: March 15th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Ah! The dream of being in Venice! Well, I had to pinch myself to make sure I was actually in Venice and not daydreaming. Our bus, from Switzerland, made its way into Italy.

On a bright Tuesday morning, we took a boat taxi to Venice. As we neared Venice, I could see Port of Venice, San Marco Caomanile and the city line on the river banks from a distance. My excitement grew as we neared the shores lined up by the gondolas.

Getting out of the boat, our group walked towards St.Mark’s square( Piazza San Marco) passing the Bridge of Sighs. We passed the San Marco Caomanile, St.Mark’s Basilica and walked down straight to the Murano Glass museum. At the museum, there were exhibits made of glass with intricate designs and details. There was also a demonstration of how glass is moulded into a desired shape. The guy demonstrating this turned a small ball of glass into a horse standing with its front two legs in the air, more like the one in the Ferrari logo. It was just awesome!

From the museum, we walked towards a point from where the Gondola rides started. One family after the other, we hopped into the gondolas. Off went our gondola with our gondolier (the gondola rower) rowing the gondola with accurate precision. There were so many gondolas in the canals and the gonodoliers were so perfect in manoeuvring the gondolas on such narrow canals that they ensured no two gondolas bumped into each other. The gondolier has a long wooden oar to row the boat and the oar is supported by a wooden handle attached to the gondola.

We passed under many small bridges and I couldn’t help but notice that the foundations of the buildings along the canals were all in water. It was more like a floating city! We sailed through the Grand Canal and under the Rialto bridge. I was thoroughly enjoying the Venetian experience. Buildings with big windows lined the Grand canal on both sides. There were gondolas parked in front of these buildings and wavered on the waves created by the passing gondolas and boats. We also passed by buildings with small balconies decorated with potted plants and flower plants. After getting the taste of Venice in a gondola, we were dropped back at the same point from where we were picked up. We
were told by our tour manager that we had the next couple of hours for ourselves to explore Venice before we all met at the pick up point to head back.

My husband and I walked along the narrow streets and on the small bridges admiring the beauty of Venice. We went back to St.Mark’s square but seeing large crowds outside San Marco Caomanile and St.Mark’s Basilica waiting to go inside, we decided against joining the queues owing to the little time we had on hand. So, we just strolled around St.Mark’s square. I wanted to buy one of those famous Venice masks, so we headed towards the small shops on the sides of the walking paths. Our tour manager had told us that the prices of everything in these shops are highly inflated and one could bargain with the shopkeepers before buying any item. So, taking his words seriously, I started bargaining with a shopkeeper for a mask that I had liked. He spoke in Italian and I spoke in English. I bet neither of us understood what the other was saying, but neither of us budged. Anyways, after a while, I gave in and bought it for
a little less that what he had quoted. By the time this all ended, it was time for us to head back to the pick-up point. We later drove to Rome from Venice.

Next day, we were to visit Vatican City and go sight-seeing in Rome. In the morning, after breakfast, we set off towards St.Peter’s Basilica in Vatican city from Rome. The circular courtyard in front of St.Peter’s Basilica is a huge one with pillars adorning the circular walls. There was also a big poster of Pope John Paul II leaning against the pillars. There is a strict dress code to enter the Basilica and since it was told to us the previous day, all of us were in the said dress code. As we entered the basilica, I could see vast passage ways that lead to the hall. The ceilings had beautiful paintings on them. There were numerous statues inside the hall and the high doors had stories of saints embossed on them. After coming out of the Basilica, we headed back to Rome for lunch.

After lunch, we first went to Altare della Patria , a monument built in memory of the first king of
unified Italy. We then passed by the Roman forum and headed towards the Colosseum . Colosseum is an architectural marvel in itself. One has to see it to experience it. The seating areas, the cells under the fight area – everything has a story to tell. Coming out of the Colosseum, it felt like I had re-lived a part of the history . Most of the tourist attractions in Rome are in walking distance of each other, so this way it is more of a walking tour. Later, we walked down to Trevi fountain. Beautifully sculpted, it is said that if you wish for something and throw a coin into the fountain, the wish comes true. Now I do not know the authenticity of it, but I could definitely see the pool was filled with coins!

Later that evening, we returned for a night tour of Rome when Rome was gorgeously lit up. We went to St.Peter’s Basilica and the Colosseum. We walked down the streets to Trevi fountain and then back to Altare della Patria.

Next day, we were at Florence visiting the famous Florence Cathedral. We walked down the narrow streets that led to the cathedral
and at the end of the street was this magnificent cathedral with high marble walls and huge domes. The doors had beautifully sculpted arches around them and marble statues of saints adorned the walls. Inside the cathedral , the windows had colourful stained glasses and the ceiling was splendidly painted. Coming out of the Cathedral, we walked on the narrow streets towards Piazza della Signoria, the city square, passing by Palazzo Davanzati , the palace museum.

The city square, Piazza della Signoria, was bustling with people shopping and clicking pictures of David by Michelangelo. We managed our way through the crowd and walked towards Ponte Vecchio, the arched bridge. A picturesque area with shops and restaurants on both sides of the bridge.

We were given a couple of hours to explore the city square before we had to meet at the pick-up point. So, off we went exploring the streets of Piazza della Signoria. We strolled around Palazzo Vecchio and Fountain of Neptune in the city square area and did some window shopping too! You get some great Italian food and Gelato here at the city square. Later, we were on the bus heading towards the view point
of Florence Cathedral from where one can get a view of the Florence city with the cathedral standing tall and majestic amidst the other buildings. It was such a lovely sight. The roofs of all the building were tiled with red tiles, so, it appeared like the city was covered with a red blanket.

Next day, was Pisa time! We reached Pisa in the morning and I was almost spellbound looking at the Leaning tower of Pisa. It was actually leaning ! ?. The leaning tower a little behind the cathedral , made it appear like it was peeping out from behind ?. There are stairs inside the tower to climb up the tower to the top and experience how it to see down from a leaning tower but there was a long queue outside the tower. Since we did not have much time on hand, we did not join the queue and instead got contended looking at the tower from outside.

Well, that was Italy pretty much in 4 days but there was still so much to see and do!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 27


Advertisement















Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb