Nice easy walk


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
October 8th 2015
Published: December 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.1097, 9.81355

Okay, we went to Genova as promised, but with periodic rain and navigation problems, we were unable to make it to Chris' house. We did see more mopeds than one could ever imagine. They had their own parking areas and were parked four deep for literally a block. And we were later informed they are less popular than in the past.

Now the main event. The entire day on 7 October was spent in a couple of towns in Cinque Terre. Could find no evidence of Romans here, but do know at least some of the towns were founded at least by the 11th century. Each has a castle and watch tower to spot Muslim pirates. Poor Italy, they suffered from pirates after the barbarians took North Africa from the Romans in the early fifth century until Justinian reconquered the area and then now again. How far the mighty fell.

There are five villages here connected by nice smooth trails, although two of the four are presently closed due to rock slides. They are also connected by train that travels in a tunnel. So one can either travel between them by train, and miss the views, or walk.

We are including two days on this post as we arrived home so late from the above adventure and were done for. Additionally the next day was a rather short trip to the seaside village of Porto Venere. This is a pretty tourist town, although a number of yachts make this there home base, and we saw evidence of aqua farming.

Advertisement



9th October 2015

Great picture!!!

Tot: 0.319s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb