Romeo, Romeo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
April 3rd 2015
Published: April 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Ancient ArenaAncient ArenaAncient Arena

Pre dates Rome's Coliseum
Thursday morning we set out for the Campo Di Martre train station in Florence, a different one from the one to which we arrived. Curtis, with map in hand, led us directly there. Honestly if he ever wants to get rid of me he would just have to send me out into a strange place, map or no map, and leave me. I have no sense of direction, even when looking at a map so it amazes me how he can just get us to our destination!

We were to ride in 1st Class to Verona. We boarded our coach with dozens of others, many of whom had huge pieces of luggage. All of the other trains we have travelled on in 1st class have had some kind of luggage rack. Not this one. This poor teenage boy was trying in vain to find places for his family's luggage. They were blocking the entire aisle and many of the pieces would not fit up on top. Looking at the rack above the seats we knew ours wouldn't fit either. We made it to our seats, which were on the other side of two other people. They helped us ram Curtis' backpack under the table and then we stood mine up at the end. They were very helpful. We sat back to enjoy the views to Verona. As we approached our station I began to feel slightly anxious as to how we were going to get our things off, but luckily the people beside us were also departing at Verona so all went well.

We left the station and found our way to our Shakespeare B&B. We were to meet Jacopo, our host next door at his family's cafe, Romeo and Guiletto. He greeted us warmly and lead up one flight up to our room. It is lovely with a beautiful, normal bathroom! We met with Jacopo where he told us that in the morning breakfast is served in the cafe. He gave us a map of Verona and laid out all the important sights. He also suggested some good restaurants.

We soon headed out and our first stop was to the tourist office to pick up our Verona Card. This card, for 15 euros, was good for 24 hours and got us in to all the major churches and museums. It paid for itself in the first two
Ponte PeitraPonte PeitraPonte Peitra

Oldest Bridge in Verona
trips!! We made our way to Piazza Bra where we walked over the cobblestone streets to the Roman Arena, built in the first century. We wandered through the ancient structure which was being readied for a concert by "the man" in Italy, as it is used for large-scale opera performances.

Our next stop was the Castelvecchio. It is the most important military construction of the Scaliger Dynasty that ruled the city in the Middle Ages. We wandered along the walls that overlook the Fiume River. After leaving we walked along a beautiful bridge that joined the castle to the other side.

We then headed back to the Piazza Bra where we stopped in for pizza. This piazza is home to dozens of restaurants and a small park which was filled with people. We sat in view of the Arena and enjoyed our delicious wood-fired delicacy. Stopping for a few things in the grocery store we headed back to do a bit of laundry and get a good night's sleep. We are both starting to feel that the amount of time we spend walking and climbing, and climbing, and climbing is catching up with our bodies. Although our lives are busy at home, this is a different kind of busy for sure.

Woke up this morning feeling under the weather to say the least. Apparently the head cold that has been threatening for few days decided my tired body was ripe for the picking. Headed down to the cafe where we were treated to delicious homemade croissants and brioche, filled any way we wanted. Curtis enjoyed a big cup of coffee and I had freshly squeezed orange juice. Jacopo's brother also gave us a special Verona breakfast delicacy made from rice and milk. It was delicious

Our first stop was the Tomb of Juliet which is just down the street from where we are staying. We wandered down to the room where her sarcophagus was sitting. I don't really understand the mentality of some people. Sadly, the walls were covered in senseless signatures and sayings. It is too bad that people disrespect these ancient monuments just to leave their mark. As if anyone cares.

From there we headed to the river which we followed until we reached the oldest bridge in Verona. We then climbed up the hundreds of stairs until we reached the lookout above the Roman Theatre (which was unfortunately closed for renovationss). The view over the whole of Verona was exceptional. We then followed up the hill around the Castell San Pietro which followed the old stone walls of the castle, down the hill and back to where the old bridge was located. We crossed the ancient structure and then visited the Verona Cathedral or Duomo, a very beautiful church with huge marble pillars, chapels, and an underground Baptistery.

As we made our way down the busy streets we stopped at Piazza Erbe where we wandered the stalls selling souvenirs, leather goods, dried pasta, etc. I may have boought another purse 😊 We then joined the crowd going into the Case di Guilietta. As you enter through the arched passageway you see that two walls are covered in large white boards, where people are encouraged to write their message to Juliet. In the courtyard is a mailbox if you wish to post a letter to her as well. As you look up you see the famous balcony where Romeo and Juliet secretly met. Standing at the end of the courtyard is a bronze statue of Juliet. Apparently it is customary to go
Bully PigeonBully PigeonBully Pigeon

This one's for you Mark
up and put your hand on her right breast as you pose for a picture. So, when in Verona.... We then walked through Juliet's family home which contained the bed from one of the movies made about them.

We then stopped for a bite to eat on the steps of a library, where we watched a bully pigeon chase off others as they came to enjoy the crumbs spread by an Italian man.

Because I was not feeling well at all we made one more stop at another beautiful church, San Fermo Maggiore, built in Romanesque style which has a lower church. The history is unbelievable.

Returning to our room, we slept for 3 hours. We went around the corner to one of the restaurants Jacopo had suggested, Al Bracere, where we had a nice dinner of pizza and pasta.

Tylenol and a good night's sleep are in order as we head to Padua tomorrow. Verona is a beautiful city. Having studied Shakespeare in university it was humbling to come to the city where the real love story occured.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Statue of JulietStatue of Juliet
Statue of Juliet

Apparently Tradition:)


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb