Buongiorno Verona - Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
August 24th 2012
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We visited Lake Como for lunch. Wow, what a pretty spot! Afternoon tea was an ice cream at Lecco a very beautiful lakeside town. Give me a job here and a home overlooking the lake – heaven indeed, but no offers so in the car and on to Verona.

I had not heard of Verona before this trip, but it is famous and picture postcard beautiful. We passed through and walked alongside the substantial city walls to the main piazza. We passed the Anfiteatro Arena (Roman Amphitheatre) where the opera Carmen was playing. A delightful pizza at a restaurant recommended as “non-touristica” was lovely. After dinner we ambled through town enjoying the ambience.

We stayed at B&B Casanova and would recommend it but for a couple of issues; the air-conditioning unit was ineffective, and there was no onsite management which made getting into the building difficult. Luckily a couple of guests returning to their room made a call to the manager for us. The first time we tried to access the internet we had issues and we had to find and restart the server ourselves. Eileen had gone to sleep in frustration before I finally got it sorted. Apart from the AC, the room was very well appointed.

One thing that amused me about the accommodation was the toilet seat being rectangular. More than a dozen countries in three continents and a few islands where they have all been the usual egg shape (except for the many women’s toilets where there was no seat - E). Ahhh ... Italian design putting style before function – the Swiss would never have done this! Nonetheless, even though it felt a little unusual, it served its purpose.

In the morning we visited the ‘supposed’ tomb of Juliet, of Romeo and Juliet fame. I did not even know that they were real people.

Eileen's initial impressions:


• stone walled lanes and cemetries
• large two storey rectangular stone or brick houses
• small villages
• agriculture predominately corn and grapes



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0779s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb