Villains, Millers and Villas – its all in a name…


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
June 12th 2011
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

juliets balconyjuliets balconyjuliets balcony

innundated with starry eyed tourists (yawn!)
In fair Verona...

We took this trip from Lake Garda a week or so ago and so memories are fading… Thomas is having difficulty distinguishing his Villains from Millers resulting in some very funny sentences like “why do the Millers have to go in the dungeons?”

Cathy and Tony went off to Venice for the day. It being the city for lovers we decided that the 4 of us coming along would cramp their style somewhat and the fair city of Verona just 30 mins away by train beckoned us as an alternative option.

Unfortunately, the rain had settled in for the day when we arrived and bought our Verona Card (admission and bus pass in one). Running through the rain we jump on our bus to the CastelVecchio (built 1355 for the Scala family) – swallow tailed mellones abound.

The trip around the museum started off fine, a moat, a drawbridge, some weapons (the biggest sword in the world - Thomas), a dungeon, a fountain. Things took a turn for the worse on the second floor where they exhibit some ancient and priceless works of art (Bellini included) and we were followed around by the museum staff which was a highly uncomfortable experience.

Next stop Piazza Bra with its archway entrance and its fountains for the Arena, an amazingly preserved amphitheatre which is still used as the main concert venue in Verona (particularly for opera in season – yes please!). Our trip around the Arena didn’t really deliver a Roman Gladiatorial experience but it is heartwarming to think that something from 2000 years ago (it may have been erected in the first century) is still in use today.

Cathy and Tony bought out Gnomeo and Juliet out for the boys to watch which was quite fitting for our visit to Juliet’s house in Verona. We made our way through Piazza delle Erbe and its tourist tatt to the graffiti strewn mews leading to Juliet’s house, gazed up at the ivy clad wall and over to the balcony (added after renovations in 1935 hmmmm). Thanks to Felicity and Alan, Simon and I were able to watch Leonardo di Caprio and Clare Danes in the Hollywood version too – the only TV we have seen in 5 weeks!

A trip to the top of the Torre Lamberti (thankfully by elevator) allowed us to look out
The arenaThe arenaThe arena

Its set up for concerts so had to get a flavour of the original
over the rooftops of the lovely compact city and return to the rain soaked Palazzo del Commune before the bell rang!

All in all a lovely day out.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 24; qc: 97; dbt: 0.0823s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb