Navigating the canals and alleys of Venezia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 4th 2017
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4345, 12.3384

Buongiorno, all!

We had a full day yesterday, Wed May 3, so taking a little time to say 'ciao' on Thursday morning. After the full day of travel Monday-to-Tuesday and trying to get our legs and bearings Tuesday evening, we finally settled into a nice flow on Wednesday.

Venice is a fascinating maze of canals and alleys, but we've figured out the vaporetto (water bus) system on the Grand Canal, so it's now easy to get around. Our hotel is right in the Rialto Market neighborhood, so we're close to everything. It also stays bustling, lively, and noisy well into the night, so sleeping with windows open does not work here.

And with the produce market right below our 2nd floor (called the first floor in Europe) window, and the fish market right around the corner, the morning bustle starts at dawn. Why not? We're on vacation.

After a morning walk through the markets, we headed through the San Polo neighborhood to the beautiful Franciscan Basilica dei Frari, which featured Donatello's John the Baptist next to the main altar.

Then, it was onto Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's Square) by way of the Grand Canal. The line was short to get into the Basilica, so we jumped at that opportunity. What a stunning place! But, no pictures were allowed inside, so we just had to stare and gape in awe. A short vaporetto ride across from San Marco was San Giorgio Maggiore, where the view from the top of the bell tower over Venice was vast and amazing.

Back to the hotel for a nap (Sharon) and yoga (Mike), some pasta for dinner, and we called it a day. Today (Thurs May 4), we are off to the island villages of Burano (lace making) and Murano (glass factories).

Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



4th May 2017

Have a fantastic to time you two!
4th May 2017

The weather and sights are just stunning. Looks like the perfect time of year to travel. Hope you two aren't catching sea sick legs from the water canal travels. Can't wait to hear about the local cuisine and vino!
4th May 2017

Wow, you guys are hitting it just right. St Marks was a complete zoo whe we were there in late Sept. had to hold hands to keep from getting lost. Have a wonderful time. Everybody wants to see Italy. U 2....
4th May 2017

Love ?? your pictures of beautiful Venice! We loved meandering thru the alleys and getting lost! Can't wait to see your sights in Murano and Burano!!
4th May 2017

Wow, everything is absolutely breathtaking! Looks like you guys are having a wonderful time traveling and taking in all the sights and food I'm sure too! It's a foodie paradise there vino and pasta and pizza!! Love you guys and have a great
time!
4th May 2017

Stunning! Look at all the fresh produce!
6th May 2017

As is the saying goes"when in Rome...." Any traditional dress? Togas?

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb