2 nights in Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 24th 2011
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4345, 12.3384

We have been to Venice many times in the past but it is always a delight to return. This time we stayed at the Bauer Hotel just off San Marco square. The entrance is impressive and a buffet breakfast on the terrace overlooking the Grand Canal in warm sunny weather is very pleasant. However the rooms were dark as we had no view and drinks and food were extortionately expensive. There again Venice is always expensive in the tourist areas, whereas if you walk down the side streets away from the crowds much cheaper places can be found. There is a bar in the square outside the Arsenale which is a sunny spot and the beers are reasonably priced. We had lunch in our favourite restaurant, the Al Vecio Portal, which has a lovely garden and the best Spaghetti Vongole. It is situated down a side street half way between the Arsenale and the Bridge of Sighs near the Danielli hotel. Our bit of culture was a visit to the Doge's Palace a ticket to which also gets you into 3 other Museums. One of these is the Museo Correr, which I enjoyed more than the Palace. However it was an experience to walk over the Bridge of Sighs and around the prisons. The Correr museum has several Canova Sculptures and a nice collection of 14th century art as well as armour, coins and a general history of Venice. Dinner was at the Osteria Doge Morosini near the Accademia Bridge, which has excellent Mushroom soup. Beware the off menu specials, as they can put up the price considerably for which is otherwise a good value restaurant. Another spot we have discovered is a bar on the Grand Canal just one side street down from the San Marco water bus. The signs are for the Biennale so very few people venture down. You can sit outside and watch all the gondoliers coming in and out as well as the working boats bringing produce into the city and it is a real suntrap.

After 2 nights in Venice we were taken by water taxi to the Port where we boarded the Seabourne Quest, a brand new ship, which only had her maiden voyage3 months ago. The cabins are spacious with good size balconies and a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting on the table. The bathrooms are probably the best we have had on a cruise. The staff are all very friendly and attentive. Sail away happened after we had had the regulatory boat drill . Cocktails on the top deck with band playing and the ships horn blasting as we sailed along past San Marco Square was most memorable.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



27th September 2011

Lovely way to escape the horror of the rugby world cup - well, the horrors yet to come!

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb