Palazzo Zen near Fundamente Nova via Ghetto


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 25th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4345, 12.3384

Up and on our way fairly early. Seems this is a relative term on this part of the trip. A cup or two of coffee in bed before making it up and getting ready! We decided to go check out the Palazzo Zen that had been recommended by Albert and Sue.

Of course, another opportunity to try a new route to go! We wandered around and ended up going past the Ferrovia and then down a street that took us past several interesting small hotels and ended up at a very nice park. We then walked through part of the Carneggio and then to the Ghetto, the Jewish quarter. A Hassidic man came up to Robert and asked him if he was Jewish. Don't know if they were soliciting for funds or what but we continued on. Within the ghetto are several different tabernacles built by the various Jews that had arrived from different countries. All in all, pretty interesting walk.

Ended up on the Fondamente Nova where you could see some of the other islands. Walked to the end where you could see the channel boats used to head out to the other islands. Quite a chop going on right there! Continued on down the Fondamente Nova and found a place on some steps to have our lunch. Watched as people ran to and fro trying to get on the correct water taxi. Evidently it is quite easy to get on the boat going the wrong direction. Anyway, it was fun to watch people, the boats and just enjoy the beautiful weather.

Walked back through the Palazzo Zen which was a very peaceful square. Checked out the Residenza ai Crociferi which is now a residental dorm used by both students and travelers. It evidently was a place where women were allowed to stay in the early days. We had a very nice cup of coffee sitting out on the deck overlooking a canal.

From there we headed back to Calle dei Preti by way of the Rialto. By this time of day it was quite crowded. As we were heading back, had to laugh as a very young boy stops in the middle of the path and says, "Mom, my feet hurt!" Could feel his pain.

Were glad to be back at Calle dei Preti and had a nice dinner at home and relaxed.




Additional photos below
Photos: 165, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb