Voyage from Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 25th 2015
Published: September 25th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We broke the cardinal rule of global travelers and submitted to our inclinations to take a short nap before dinner. Our five hour respite got us close to the 7:30 PM dinner time. We enjoyed some time sitting on some chairs on the grounds outside our room, in a delightful bricked patio featuring four arches. The highway approaching the airport bustled by, and Sharon remarked that we could have walked here from the terminal; although, with bags in tow that would have been a sight to see. Through one of the arches we viewed an aging olive tree, quite gnarled at the base, and the subsiding sun made quite a sight in the diminishing light. Sharon regretted that we’d left our phones in the room, but was determined to get a picture of the tree later.

The menu featured half a dozen or so selections for each of three courses. I was drawn to the “specialty of the house” antipasti selection that included shrimp, scallop, calamari, seafood salad and shaved white fish. It’s not something that I’d normally order; but, I’ve learned that local specialties offer the promise of something special. I was not disappointed; although, the dish would probably be best shared. I selected the vegetable soup for my second course. Concerned that the first dish might be too filling, I thought it best not to go with one of the pasta choices. I was expecting a tomato based minestrone type of soup; but, thoroughly enjoyed instead the chicken broth stock with and ample offering of mixed vegetables of carrots, corn, peas, beans and even some pea-sized chunks of potato. I offered Sharon a taste but she declined. The large serving would have easily satisfied two. For the third and Sharon’s only course, she enjoyed the grilled chicken with peppers. I ordered the sea bass. Both were great and served in a butter or olive oil sauce. Sharon actually ate most of her chicken, which is an accomplishment as she is still getting used to her new upper dentures. She expects her final fitting either later this year or early next year. On our journey here, she was forced to seek out a dentist in California the day before our flight to Florida (two days before our flight to Venice) for a new soft liner. I also enjoyed the fresh rolls and home twisted bread sticks that were placed on the table, and I used the olive oil and balsamic vinegar (which Sharon eschewed). Butter was available as another diner discovered, but Sharon didn’t want to impose. At first we were going to skip dessert; even though we were both eying the chocolate soufflé with ice cream. When the waitress asked us about dessert, I could tell by that look in Sharon’s eye that her resistance was crumbling, and so we shared a soufflé. It was the perfect end to a delightful meal. And despite our fears about the nap preventing us from getting a good night’s sleep, we both had an excellent night’s rest!



We enjoyed a buffet breakfast courtesy of the Annia Parkhotel which we found to be a wonderful way to relax and acclimate to the local time in Venice. Our one night stay was about $135 which included the complimentary shuttle from the airport that runs on the half hour, free WI-FI and breakfast. I would have no qualms recommending this place to unwind from intercontinental travel, if even for just one day, and it compares quite favorably by price where $500 per night is often the norm in Venice proper. So far Sharon’s dentures have been behaving themselves, and she always took her time chewing, so what else is new. After some inflammation last night, a little Neosporin seems to have helped Sharon’s finger heal after her hallmarked slow motion fall in the airport of Fort Lauderdale. The fellow traveler that she fell towards saw it all happen, and I think he might have tried to catch her, except for that Sprite that she was trying to throw away and soda was spraying everywhere (but mostly on Sharon). So yes, I’m to blame, if I’d taken that soda she wouldn’t have fallen. But I think Erin would agree with me, it’s just her big much, much older sister being Sharon.

The shuttle driver Sharon had arranged for picked us up fifteen minutes early; but, we were ready and more than eager to get onboard. Venice was nothing like Vancouver in the spring and we breezed through the luggage check in. We were early, so we waited some, but Sharon’s 4-star status kept us out of the longer line (but even that was moving very fast). We even got our room keys before the photographer had set up to take pictures, so I’m guessing that won’t be the picture we get with Sharon’s new smile. We’re thinking formal night on the second night might be when we get a new picture of us in formal duds.



We got to our center room on Deck 6 which really seems quite roomy; although, the layout is a bit odd. The TV is on the wall just to the left of the door when you enter; and beneath that is a large sofabed. There would need to be a mirror on the wall with the bathroom door for you to watch the TV while sitting on the couch. The beds at least are facing the right way to watch TV; but, they are at the opposite end of the cabin. There is one chair that you can position to watch the TV from a slight angle which means that if both people want to sit down and watch TV, well, you’d need to open the door to the bathroom…

We unpacked our carry-ons and went up to the Lido Deck to order burgers at The Dive-In. I got the Cannonball (Gouda Cheese and Bacon) and Sharon got hers naked. We both enjoyed the fries. I went to get a beverage card for soda; but, as on the Alaska cruise the system wasn’t ready to activate any cards yet. I saw that the drink of the day was the Harvest Sangria, which somehow seemed appropriate. Sharon’s brother Sean had asked if we were still looking for the perfect lobster roll; but, somehow I think that is a New England quest. I told Sharon before the cruise that on this Odyssey perhaps I would look for the perfect Sangria (and perhaps pizza as well). Both have played a role in our journey to get here. Our friend Lin had treated us to dinner before we left Ohio at Carver’s, a fancy steak-house and had suggested that she and I have the Sangria. We used to share a carafe of very good house-made Sangria at the La Comedia Dinner Theatre when we would go to see a production there, so this was sort of a way to compensate for not being available to go with Sharon and me the previous week. After my drink came she confided that the Sangria here was very good, and in my opinion, that assessment would be generous. Later in California, at a Red Robin I again tried their Sangria with a cinnamon twist. Ron, who was the best man at our wedding said, after he observed me order the drink, that if I’d have asked him he would have told me that their Sangria was no good either. I couldn’t tell if there was any cinnamon in it; but, I agreed with Ron that it certainly contained no detectable traces of alcohol. So I guess I’ll have to go with the La Comedia Sangria as my benchmark; because, after a carafe of that a couple of weeks ago I can affirm that it was pretty darn good.

Our cruise left promptly at 4:00 PM and we headed first to the promenade for picture taking. Unfortunately, the view from deck was not high enough to offer the terrific skyline of Venice laced with canals that we had seen from the Lido deck where we had lunched; so, we headed for that deck to take pictures. We got some great shots of the city, and enjoyed the commentary over the PA from the destination director who informed us of the 400 plus bridges that link the many parts of Venice and the 200 plus churches that can also be found here. Bell towers abound, some now leaning after centuries of settling. Building practices from 5 and 6 hundred years ago have virtually remained unchanged where wooden timbers are driven 25 feet into the marshy soil until they are embedded in the firmer clay below. Then marble forms the foundations of the buildings and provides an excellent barrier to the water. The timbers remain viable after centuries because there is no access to oxygen to start the decaying process. The channel that we are sailing in is dredged annually to 45 feet, zigzagging thru three different canal avenues to reach the Adriatic Sea. Most of the canals in Venice are only 3 to 6 feet deep, and The Great Canal would not accommodate a cruise ship such as ours. We passed Lido Island, a park sanctuary alongside the canal we traversed. This ship, and its bigger sibling now under construction (the ms Konigsdam) were both constructed in Venice, and I wondered if this island gave The Lido (cafeterias on Dam ships are called The Lido) its name. After taking many pictures, Sharon rushed off to mass at 5:00 PM and I returned to the cabin to write some in the blog.

We enjoyed the sunset on the stern of the ship in the Manhattan Dining Room (I’m so used to them being called The Rotterdam Dining Room). We got to enjoy a magnificent sunset turning from bright orange turning to a blood orange as it dipped into the sea amid many reflective white reflections upon the rippling water. We sat with an Aussie Vietnam Volunteer Vet and his American wife who now live in Pittsburgh, and an Australian woman from Ederle who was travelling alone. When she observed that the vet who hadn’t lived in Australia for thirty years wasn’t really Australian, he countered that his country was Australia; but, that his home in America. Sharon was happy to see that the cold pear soup was being offered. I had the scallop appetizer and followed that with the pumpkin squash soup. Sharon had the prime rib and she enjoyed her meal. I had the red curry cedar salmon, and it was quite good. Sharon ate the crème Brule while I was happy with the banana crisp and vanilla ice cream complemented by the daily cordial (Kahlua, Crème de Mint, Crème de Cacao).


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb