Getting Lost


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 16th 2015
Published: July 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Palazzo FranchettiPalazzo FranchettiPalazzo Franchetti

The ceiling at this elaborately decorated palazzo was just one little thing we discovered in the past few weeks.
One of the fun things about having a friend visit while we are abroad is playing the tourist. While living in Venice, it is easy to ignore the big sights and forget that we are inhabiting a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Okay, not really. Yet there are days that schoolwork, grocery shopping, laundry and other chores take precedence and the other parts of living in Venice become second nature. Even the really, really fabulous parts, like getting coffee and gelato out every day and doing all our errands on foot or by boat.

Visits from three friends--all separately--gave us the opportunity to look around once again and realize how very lucky we were to be in magical, wonderful Venice. We started by explaining how we get places: when it is more efficacious to walk, and when to take a vaporetto and when to make that calculus. We figure the best time to visit San Marco or Salute, and in the process of taking our friends, realize, once again, how fabulous it is. We take our friends to Corner Pub, because it is our neighborhood bar and because we love our local bartender, Alessandro, who knows our drink orders by heart; then we go out and try somewhere new, because we have friends in town! We go to a tried and true cichetti place (Vini Botegon) or restaurant (Osteria alla bifora) or pizza joint (Al Volo) but then make a point to go somewhere different (Trattoria del Ponte; Zucca) because, well, we have friends in town! Gelato becomes and everyday, or twice daily, event. We make it a point to save certain museum visits for those friends, and see something new (the garden at Ca' Rezzonico, or the fabulous period dress at Palazzo Mocenigo). We take days trips (Torcello, Burano, Ferrara) because we want to show our friends a little more and it is an excuse to get out of town for a bit.

Of course we walk and walk and walk and get lost--our favorite thing to do in Venice. We rarely, if ever, do get lost anymore, but we tried really really hard and actually succeeded once or twice for our friends. This is important, you see, because Venice is like a jewel box. Each time someone visits us, we pull open another drawer, go down another street, turn another corner, cross another portal and there it is:
Beth in VeniceBeth in VeniceBeth in Venice

We saved some of the big sites for friends. Visiting San Marco with Beth and then again with Jackie made it all new all over again.
another beautiful vista, a quiet part of a canal, a restaurant we haven't visited or a church we haven't seen. We will never run out of treasure in this most stupendous of places.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Beth and BekaBeth and Beka
Beth and Beka

We introduced Beth to Beka, the local busker, whose lute playing enchanted our friend. Later, when Jackie visited, we were serenaded by Beka on the Accademia bridge in the moonlight.
BuranoBurano
Burano

When Jackie came to visit we took the time to visit Burano. Famous for its lace and colorful buildings, this island was one of the first established communities in Venice.
The boys in TorcelloThe boys in Torcello
The boys in Torcello

We took a day trip to see the beautiful mosaics at the church in Torcello, the oldest settlement in the lagoon.
Boat faceBoat face
Boat face

Jackie and I spotted this on a ramble in Castello.
JackieJackie
Jackie

Taking in the sights all over again.
Bar ai artistiBar ai artisti
Bar ai artisti

One of our favorite spots in Venice, on Campo San Barnaba. We brought all our friends here.
J and Ari J and Ari
J and Ari

The fabulously ornate Palazzo Franchetti lies just over the canal from us.
Palazzo FranchettiPalazzo Franchetti
Palazzo Franchetti

Where the ornamentation never ends.
Fish mongerFish monger
Fish monger

Jackie spied these fish at a stand in Canareggio
FishFish
Fish

This fish was just caught
Friends of friendsFriends of friends
Friends of friends

Our R.A., Matt and his friend Sean, visiting from Istanbul. Dean took them on a mini tour of the Ghetto.


Tot: 0.234s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb