Learning to be Lost


Advertisement
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
March 4th 2015
Published: March 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We were sitting on a bench in Campo Santa Maria Formosa, one of the larger squares in Venice, when a very stylish couple set down on the bench next to us. The man pulled out a map and began studying it intently. To make conversation, I mentioned to the lady that I thought I spent way too much time studying maps myself. She surprised me by telling me that she never bothered reading them at all! ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Florian CafeFlorian Cafe
Florian Cafe

The oldest (and most expensive) café in Venice. Casanova had coffee here. 12 Euros for a cup!
Murano LighthouseMurano Lighthouse
Murano Lighthouse

Murano Island is known for glass blowing
Torcello IslandTorcello Island
Torcello Island

Hemingway stayed here
View of VeniceView of Venice
View of Venice

From San Giorgio Maggiore Bell Tower
Piazza San MarcoPiazza San Marco
Piazza San Marco

From San Giorgio Maggiore Bell Tower
Piazza San MarcoPiazza San Marco
Piazza San Marco

From San Giorgio Maggiore Bell Tower



4th March 2015

Great pics...particularly when viewed large!
Love Venice, and plan to return this summer for a few nights. You seemed to have hung around for a while. Did you airbnb?
4th March 2015

Thanks!
Thank you for the nice compliment. We stay for a month or more everywhere we travel to now. We almost exclusively use Airbnb for the last year and a half. They have such a wide variety of places and it's easy to use for us. Thanks for reading!
4th March 2015

Photos again
I know my comments are pretty much the same on every blog you write but, your photos are out of this world!
4th March 2015

That's OK!
Some things you can't hear to much! Thanks for always reading (or at least looking at the photos). ;-)
4th March 2015

Wandering
One of my favorite ways to visit someplace is to just wander. I do keep a map in case I get hopelessly lost, but as you write, it's great fun to stumble across a beautiful courtyard, an interesting restaurant, or a tiny church/temple. One of my favorite quotes about travel comes from Lewis Carroll: “One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. ‘Which road do I take?’ she asked. ‘Where do you want to go?’ was his response. ‘I don’t know,’ Alice answered. ‘Then,’ said the cat, ‘it doesn't matter.” From Alice in Wonderland.
4th March 2015

Wandering
Venice is the perfect place for wandering. Didn't George Harrison say, "If you don't know where you're going, then any road will take you there". Thanks for reading and wandering with us!
4th March 2015
Gondola Sunrise

Wanderlust
You've definitely been in the perfect place for wandering and stayed in the best place for finding your home again. I spent a couple of weeks there (staying with nuns on Giudecca) and while I love maps, it was so much more fun to do as you did and aimlessly wander, magically discovering all those quaint squares, bridges, churches and characters. Fab prose and photos as usual--thanks for the delicious memories!
4th March 2015
Gondola Sunrise

Ah, Giudecca!
We spent a better part of a day there. Same architecture but no crowds. We liked Cipriani's hotel and the OCI museum. Close by San Giorgio Maggiore church was our favorite that we visited during our stay. I'm sure we'll be back someday! Thanks for reading, Tara!
4th March 2015

You discovered the perfect way to experience Venice...
I'm sorry that you are leaving so soon.
4th March 2015

It's been fun!
We enjoyed Venice a lot and seem to know every street now. Unfortunately, time to move on but hopefully the next place will be even better. Thanks for reading!
4th March 2015
Murano "Selfies"

Selfies
We often ask ourselves "Where are we now?" before we pinch ourselves. Selfies not our forte. But it may be yours! This is a glorious selfie for your memory banks.
5th March 2015
Murano "Selfies"

Selfies
This was actually a piece of street art on the island of Murano which is famous for its glass artists. I doubt that the person who made this artwork had this interpretation in mind! Ha ha. Thanks for reading, Dave!
5th March 2015

Very Nice
Very good phonographs. Amazing!
5th March 2015
Burano Island

Your pictures!
I always love the quality of all your pictures, my favorites are all the unexpected beautiful bright colored ones, like this one! We are still working on perfecting our photography skills. It truly makes the places you travel to seem unreal and mystical, thanks for sharing them with all of us! Safe Travels!
5th March 2015
Burano Island

Thanks
I think your pictures are great. I liked your pictures from the grand canyon. Your picture of Horseshoe Bend inspired us to go there. Photography helps us see more when we travel and the search for photos leads us to things we may not have found otherwise. Thanks for reading and the nice compliment.
7th March 2015

Dreaming of Venice
Up the streets, down the streets, up the canals, down the canals... wandering could become a vocation, ok, has become a vocation. The canals, the people, the food, the vitality. You will know where you are going once you get there. What a wonderful way to live. As always the amazing photos.
8th March 2015

Dreaming....
Ah, today we wandered too far and actually woke up in a new country and a new city. Doesn't seem possible that Venice was just a day ago, so much has happened already. Wonder what the day will bring? Tired legs, for sure....
20th March 2015

Venezia
You've got the idea! One of the best things to do in Venice is walk and walk and walk....and get lost. It is so fun to stumble upon the little neighborhoods. Sounds like you made the most of your time here. Cheers!
21st March 2015

Venezia!
We really enjoyed our time in Venice. We have been travelling for almost 4 years straight and I think it was my favorite place of all. We were walking by Accademia and saw the Wake Forest building. You're pretty lucky! I have to admit I was a little jealous....Thanks for reading and sharing your beautiful city!

Tot: 0.239s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 31; qc: 107; dbt: 0.151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb