A Romantic Evening in Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 15th 2011
Published: May 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we left the land of cheap wine and carbs, and headed north to “Sound of Music” country. We would be a lot more upset to be leaving Italy behind, except that we just happen to be taking off on the only rainy day that we’ve seen so far on this trip. Apparently when it rains in Venice, it RAINS in Venice.

Thankfully, the one day that we were able to spend in the watery city was definitely tank-top and flip-flop weather.

Venice is virtually an island that is shaped like a fish, oddly enough. It really is sinking, thanks to Global Warming, but we heard that the city is taking measures to keep it from disappearing all together. The old and weathered buildings are separated by canals that tend to be busy (on Saturdays) with gondola traffic-jams. I have to say that I was warned by travelers that the place would have a “stench”, but we honestly did not notice it at all. Maybe backpackers like us smell so bad that to us everything else smells like roses…

Although it was short-lived, we definitely made the most of our time. Nick and I found our bed and breakfast around 3:30 in the afternoon, freshened up, and took a bus into town. From there we hopped on a water-taxi that took us to the Piazza San Marco, a very crowded shopping square. I had read that the best thing to do in Venice was to “get lost”, so to speak, so we did just that. We wandered through the romantic city, listening to the music of violinists and accordion-players on the tiny streets and along the waterways. For dinner we splurged on penne al pesto, spaghetti al carbonara, and the vini della casa at a family-friendly (yet romantic) trattoria. Our last supper in Italy was definitely well-spent.

Sunday morning we awoke to rain, rain, and more rain. We were sopping-wet by the time we walked into the train station, so we were very happy to be seated on a warm, dry train that was headed north to sunny skies.

Next stop is Salzburg, Austria. As goofy and cliché as it sounds, we are booked for one of Bob’s Special “Sound of Music” Tours that will take place tomorrow morning. Normally we avoid this kind of touristy thing, but Salzburg just wouldn’t be Salzburg for us if we didn’t see it the way that Lisa Friese has always dreamed.

Rumor has it that you can hear bus-loads of tourists singing “Doe, a Deer” from miles away… Nick can hardly contain his excitement…er…I mean embarrassment. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



16th May 2011

Sound of Music Tour
Let's start at the very beginning...a very good place to start...when you read you begin with ABC...when you sing you begin with Do Re Mi...Laura Lee, I hope you're singing all of the "Sound of Music" songs at the top of your lungs and don't ever forget "When the Lord closes the door, he always opens a window!" Miss you both tons and love you with alllllllllllll my heart!!! Mom

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb