Unmasking Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 26th 2010
Published: August 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We started our day with a light breakfast in the hotel and then set out to walk along the promenade alongside the Bacino di San Marco. We passed by the Arsenale, which is a large military structure that is still in use. We got to the promenade just as most of the tourist boats were coming in, which made for an interesting sight and a crowded walk. At the Piazza San Marco the line for the Basilica was huge, so we continued on to the Ponte di Rialto. The mix of tourist shops, high street fashion and designer brands makes this area a confusing mess. We arrived at the crowded bridge - I'm beginning to think that perhaps there are no people that live in Venice, it's just all tourists - and got another view of the spectacular Canal Grande. We wandered across the bridge and then around the Rialto markets before returning to the San Marco side of the bridge and some gelato. The next part of our day took us to the Museo Correr which houses a collection of Venetian artefacts and art. It was very interesting to learn a little more of Venetian history, but by the end of the art gallery section I was a little over seeing paintings of the bored looking Madonna and her chubby child. We wandered back to hotel to escape the afternoon heat, stopping on our way to pick up some sweets and to have lunch at "Bar Crazy" alongside one of the canals. Average food but a beautiful setting. Our afternoon was restful back in the air conditioning of our room.

We went to the Basilica San Marco in the afternoon, which was golden and beautiful. The treasury was very impressive, particularly the diamonds on the Madonna's necklace. My mother was a little shocked when I explained what were in reliquaries. We then went to the Museo Archelogico (though it took us a while to find the entrance). It mainly had Roman and Greek antiquities with a few Egyptian ones thrown in for good measure I suppose. We also went to the two-room library museum, which consisted primarily of a large room with exquisite ceilings. Then we had a short drinks break before we bought our 72 hour vaporetto passes and travelled along the Canal Grande, which was a crowded ferry ride for most of the way. We did get seats for most of the ride and finally got seats outside near the end. We travelled to the train station before catching a ferry back for dinner. We dined at Al Pesador near the Rialto Bridge. Much more expensive than last night but 100 times better. We all had the same meal - steak with potato and lettuce. Sounds boring, but it was rather nice. Especially with the proseco, which I hear is a regional specialty. Dessert for me was rockmelon, unexciting, but quite delicious. It was so lovely sitting next to the Canal Grande as the evening cooled. We caught the vaporetto along to the Arsenale stop and then walked home, enjoying night time Venice well lit by an almost full moon.

x Sarah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 62; dbt: 0.128s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb