Gondolas and Opera Under Our Window


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 27th 2010
Published: May 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Opera and GondolasOpera and GondolasOpera and Gondolas

This is the view from our bedroom window.
At 10pm last night the captain came on the loudspeaker and announced that we should all go on deck as we were entering the Grand Canal in Venice. So we jumped into our sweats and headed for deck 16. When we got there it was crowded with 3000 folks ;-) but... we did manage to find a space along the railing and was it ever worth it. We could see Saint Marks Square and the Doges Palace up ahead. People were walking along cheering us on from the bank and people in vaporettos (boat busses ;-) were cheering too. There was a full moon and the church bells were ringing. The ship is so large that when we were looking "down" on Venice it almost looked like Disney had built it. Just so perfect and so beautiful. Everything, up til now has been beautiful but this is exquisite. I wish you all could be here with us.

We have an apartment right on one of the inner canals (as opposed to the Grand Canal) and the gondolas go by with men singing opera and someone playing the accordian right under our windows. People will look up and take pictures of us taking pictures of them ;-)

The church bells ring every hour and half hour and all day long we could hear saws and hammering as the continuous process of renovating these old, old buildings continues.

The neighborhood is very upscale with wonderful shops, theatres and cafes. We were caught in a downpour for a few minutes this afternoon but then everything cleared up. The air here is very wet as it should be on this island.

Stopped at a couple of small groceries for our "dinner", picking up some salami, crusty bread rolls, olives, and cheese.

Tomorrow, we hope to go to the Doges Palace and perhaps another island like Murano where the famous glass is made. We will be here 3 days.

Advertisement



27th May 2010

postcards!
Benji got two postcards this week! He loves them! Keep them coming! We love to read your blog... living vicariously through you! Continue to have fun! Love, Elaine, Steve, and Ben.
27th May 2010

operas and gondolas
Hi Jean and Cope, Wow your trip sounds so fantastic! On the note operas and gondolas, Max took Alexis out on a gondola on the Naples (CA) canal two days ago, and under the 4th bridge he got on his knee and put the ring on her finger. I am here in LB for the Memorial Day weekend with them. Continued safe travels!
27th May 2010

Is that a postcard?
That picture from your bedroom window is so perfect, it looks like a postcard. 3 days isn't enough.
27th May 2010

La Serenissima
Love that city and know you will too. Let us know if you find any special restaurants,etc. We'll be there for 4 days in September. Ciao!
29th May 2010

Restaurants in Venice
Hi Connie, as to your question about restaurants in Venice, unfortunately we are not the folks to ask ;-) I'm afraid our dining has been limited to pasta and baguettes at small places that are very touristy. Which makes sense since we've been trying to get in all the "must sees" in 3 days. I'd suggest getting our your Zagat guide and you can let us know where to go next time!
29th May 2010

Picture postcard
Hey Linda, glad you like the photo, one of my best if I do say so ;-) This whole city is like a picture postcard. I would love to come back here with you for a couple of weeks. You would love it, love it.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb