Day 19 – Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
August 24th 2009
Published: August 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We started our second day in Venice with that unique tourist experience, a ride in an authentic Gondola. Our Gondolier guided us around the canals of Venice with expert skill explaining the history behind many of the palaces, churches and other buildings as we passed. These included the home of the famous lover Casanova, the composer Vivaldi and the 9th Century Church where Marco Polo was buried. This 40 minute tour cost us a pretty penny, but you can’t come to Venice for the first time and not do it.

The rest of our morning included a boat ride up the Grand Canal and more getting lost in the maze of walkways and alleys which is Venice.

For our Final evening in Venice and Italy we wandered over towards the Rialto Bridge for a meal and to take in the sights. We chose not to stop at the restaurant recommended by our host, and found one down a path in a small piazza. Here we enjoyed what we agree was the finest meal we have enjoyed in Italy, and at probably the most reasonable price.

During the first course a busker played his clarinet to accompany the delicious food. We both enjoyed lovely pasta for main and for dessert I found the best Tiramisu I have yet eaten in Italy (and given it’s my favourite dessert I have tried a lot). :-)

We then wandered down towards the famous Rialto Bridge, took some photos and watched the boats and gondolas go up and down the Grand Canal. As we wandered past Venetian glass shops and made our way back towards Piazza San Marco for the final time, we found string quartets playing in the Piazza cafes. We found yet another Gelato stop we had not yet tried and strolled back towards the B&B for the evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb