Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 12th 2009
Published: May 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

10 May 2009

I’ve just spent three days in the most amazing city yet. Venice is one of those cities that everyone knows of (and it seems like everyone was there), but it’s definitely one of those ones that you just have to go to and absorb for yourself. I spent my time wandering the streets, searching for the ultimate photograph to take. To take such a photo, I think you’d have to stay for a year, so that you get to be part of the furniture and part of the incredible history that is wrapped around you.

I don’t understand how the place still exists, to be honest. The buildings are hundreds of years old, jammed in cheek to cheek, with brick and plaster walls bowed, cracked and eroded. And yet just inside the crumbling facades and weathered window shutters are marble interiors and double glazed windows for many of them. And of course, half of these buildings are standing with their feet permanently wet in the canals. As you round another tiny laneway, it opens up to a square with yet another beautiful old church, most in astounding condition, and built on such an enourmous scale for such a cramped city.

Venice is the place to get lost in. Deliberately. There is a main tourist strip located around St Mark’s square, where you can drown yourself in Gucci and Prada and any other designer label you can care to mention. There is a “track” that loosely follows the Grand Canal all the way to the station that is also lined with shops. Yet venture off in any other direction, and you’re soon immersed in the equivalent of (inner city) suburbia. This is where the real heart of Venice is to be found, with small alleyways and locals going about their business.

Being on Venice’s waterways felt strangely like being on a bus going down George St, Sydney. Not for the harbour views, but for the ferries that were everywhere. There must have been a timetable, but it seemed they were always waiting for another ferry to leave the berth before we could stop. When they were waiting, the captains were busy gunning the engines, first in forwards, then in reverse, just because they were wishing it was a Ferrari instead. Gondolas slowing up traffic , water taxis delivering those that could afford it (I didn’t ask), delivery boats loaded with everything from fridges to fruit, all jostling for space, and a clear path ahead.

Across the smaller canals, there are lots of bridges of all shapes and sizes and age. Each one began and ended with a tiny alleyway between buildings, but to someone at sometime, it must have made perfect sense to build one there, and not one laneway in another direction that may have been more open and inviting. Must have provided a shorter path to Mamma’s house. Across the Grand canal, however, there is only three bridges. If you want to cross anywhere else, you can take a ferry across, as they zigzag from bank to bank, just to add to the confusion. Alternatively, for 50 cents you can stand up in a vaporetto, which is an even longer than usual gondola. Ten or twelve people all standing up in a long thin boat bobbing across the water; a certain recipe for disaster, but it worked.

Plan a visit to Venice. But please make it for more than just one day, which was all quite a few people we met had planned. It deserves far more of your time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



12th May 2009

Marvelous
I think you're right - you would need more than a day, if only to get the hang of the ferry schedule. Your cousin Matthew went to Tuscany on a school trip last year and spent a night and a day in Venice. He loved it as well. Happy Trails!
16th May 2009

Beautiful
loving following you travels and your photos are truely amazing!
5th June 2015

Loving your blog
I am going to Italy and Greece this summer and am loving your blog! I am thinking of missing Florence and Rome because they are crowded and big cities. Wish you had gone to Corfu!
6th June 2015

Hi Gloria. I did go to Corfu. Well worth the day trip! The best part was taking the cable car up the hill, then catching a local bus over to the other side of the island. The best bus ride ever! Take your swimming clothes as well... Florence and Rome are very much worth visiting. I too like my small towns, but both cities have lots to see, even if its just the Duomo in Florence, and the cathedral and Coliseum in Rome. I still wear the leather jacket I bought in Florence all through winter, and my girlfriend still gets comments about the one she bought as well. Have a great trip!
7th June 2015

Corfu again
I am bringing my swimsuit! We're from Texas where there is no snorkeling,(cloudy water, etc.) We have 3 days in Venice, 2 days to wander to Amalfi via Florence, then 3 days in Amalfi area After that we need to get to Bari and ferry to Corfu. I thought we could drop our rental car in Bari, but that may be a problem. Is driving in Italy a bad idea? The rental cars are pretty cheap and we could see more. We'll be in Corfu 3 days then we fly to Barcelona. I'm scared after reading bad reviews about Veuling Airlines, but they won't make or break our trip. I'm hoping to swim at lots of beaches while my daughter practices her photography skills. Do you travel all the time? Thanks, Gloria D.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb