Are we there yet?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 14th 2008
Published: April 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Me, Castle, Lake GardaMe, Castle, Lake GardaMe, Castle, Lake Garda

Nothing like a self explanatory title!
And on the story goes...

Today was a big day, travelling from Milan at some ungodly hour, to Lake Garda, to Verona and then to a town a 30 minute train ride outside of Venice proper.

Lake Garda was truly beautiful, perhaps this was due to the fact the sun was shining, birds were singing and it was so picturesque. I would definitely come back here - if only I could remember the name of the town we stopped at! I'm sure it began with an S...

To celebrate such gorgeousness, it was tea for the extended Team Duomo. Sitting on the waterfront, watching the people go by, chatting in the sunshine, life can be so hard. Even the teapot was pretty!

Verona, while sunny, became a little cold, especially in the wind tunnel! There is an arena in Verona that is similar to the Colleseum in Rome, just smaller. The town has a much nicer feel than Milan, although there are still lots of shops, it just feels friendlier. Maybe because it feels less corporate?

We wandered throught the shopping district to the piazza in search of Juliet's balcony, stumbling on the markets and another piazza which was just so pretty - postcard Italy. Now, the story goes that the balcony we went to see provided the inspiration/story behind Juliet's. The house is still owned by a family named the Cappelles, which can quite easily be reframed as Cappulette. The walkway to the building itself is covered in graffitti and lovenotes, some sort of modern day wishing well almost. There is also a bronze statue of a girl in the court yard, which very sadly has a very well polished bosom where tourist grope her while they have their photo taken. Totally tacky. Strangly enough it is also possible that the balcony itself is actally an old sarcophogus with one side removed (and clearly, no lid). You can definitely see how it could have been.

After lunch in the wind tunnel - and observing the behaviour of some of our fellow tour members which much amusement - it was off to da coacha for the final leg of the journey to Venice. D & M's on the bus and avoidance of the droning history lesson made up much of the journey, as did more monestary spotting - key for a good monestary is that it must be on a hill.

With an oncoming migraine for Ms Nessa, it was agreed that we would hang in the hotel that night instead of travelling into Venice, proper. I have to say, I didn't think an evening in the freezing cold was a good idea at all so I was happy heading off to find beer and pizza! Finding the beer was easy enough, and then the hunt for takeout pizza began. Luckily, Bob and I happened across a restaurant where, upon spying through the window I saw some pizza boxes so in we went. Now, pizza here is a definite passion and this menu was huge! After making our way through an alphabetised list, we managed to choose 3 pizzas from amongst the pages of the menu.

With speed that would make any Aussie bloke proud, Bob was quick to suggest we have a beer while we waited. After deliberating for all of 2 seconds we decided to try the red beer - one of 2 beers on tap. And, it seems my friends, that this quick decision was a damn good one. If you ever get the chance, try the Salvatore - the red beer. Absolutely great! I'm thinking that Little Creatures need to get a brew on like this one. Ever after, throughout the trip, every menu was quickly scanned for the chance of more red beer.

Or returning to the hotel with our booty, it was quickly discovered that the pizza hadn't been cut into slices so, ever the girl scout (!) out came my trusty pocket knife. Using the smallest but sharpest blade imaginable the three pizzas were quickly and deftly divided and the soon feasted upon. After some of the somewhat bland included meals that we had be given over the last few days, Bob and I had decided to go with a Mexican pizza as one of the choices, which turned out to be possibly the most spicy pizza I've ever had, but absolutely brilliant! Yum!

Sitting in the last hotel room in the corridor, furthest away from reception, we feasted, watching CNN and listening to dodgy radio, and generally talking trash, listening to Bob and John's amusing tales of camping and costume parties, as well as stories about drunken friends (check under your pillows people). Nessa and I finally kicked them out at about 10.30 in order to be fresh and beautiful for the people of Venice.

So finally, it is off to Venice. Now, unfortunately for me, last time I visited Venice not one of my photographs came out so I was, as you can expect extremely dissapointed and, as some of you already will be aware, totally stoked by the picture that I was given one Christmas, many moons ago. Here was my opportunity to redeem myself and hopefully capture something of the spirit of Venice with my spunky new camera.

Walking to the train station it was remarkable how un-Italian the homes looked. Some I would even venture had the look of the German or Swiss about them. It actually felt quite weird to be back in some sort of suburbia again. Talking trash on the train with the girls - it really is quite amazing how, from all over the world, we had such similar tales of men - the train ride flew past and we were soon boarding the water taxi to the Piazza San Marco.

Now, as previously mentioned, interpretations of our tour guide were constant sources of amusement, so when during the water taxi ride she suggested that we should "consider dis on da boat" there was much merriement, in fact I thought it entirely possible that Kat and Nessa may actually wet themselves.

As it was actually Easter Sunday, Simona presented us all with an easter egg, so dining on dark chocolate at some early hour of the morning, we listened to a history of Venice, all the while whisking past the sights of picturesque Venice.

The morning in Venice was spent visiting demonstrations. I have to say there is no way that I would ever have the patience to make lace, but some of the lace was definitely pretty cool. I have no idea how they manage to create anything other than knots using unmarked bobbins and am astounded that the masters can use up to 100 bobbins at a time - crazy town. The glass demonstration was totally awesome - not to mention the fact that it was toasty warm in there because of the kilns! Phenomenal how quickly and deftly the glass can be worked. After watching the craftsman make a vase and then a cat statue (this was so cute!), we were told about how the glass is coloured by using different minerals and give the glass strength, which they proceeded to smash against the counter as evidence! Jumped out of my skin! I ended up buying 2 aquamarine coloured glasses which roll like Mr Wobblyman from Noddy! I always regretted not buying some last time I was in Venice and hopefully these arrive in one piece to wherever I posted them to (that is another story!).

After some strolling around, attmepting to get lost and not get lost at the same time, we headed back to Piazza San Marco to meet with our group for our gondola ride. Now, obviously, this is an essential part of the Venician tourist experience! So Team Duomo crammed into a gondola, 6 of us somehow managing not to tip it over despite Bob's attempts while taking his 'artistic' pics. Poling our way through the canals you can imagine what it used to be like in Venice and it is easy to see why the vast body of literature and mystery of this place is filled with romance and intrigue. And, I love it!

Wandering around throughout the afternoon, pottering through shops and generally trying to get a feel for the city, there was an obvious difference between the tourist side of Venice, filled with glass and trinkets, and the real Venice. After Ang's bank card got 'eaten' by the stupid atm, we decided to hide out in a cafe for a while. Whilst thawing out and more coffee - the rumours are true people, the coffee here rocks - we watched the rain and decided to aim our ambling towards the Rialto Bridge. So off through the increasing rain, picking up trinkets and postcards along the way, taking the requisite shots of and from the bridge. Even in the cold and the rain, this place is captivating.

From the Rialto Bridge we made our way on foot through the back streets of Venice towards the train station, where after figuring out how to verify our tickets (how hard can it be, you ask? Apparently, very, for us!) and patiently waiting for the display to tell us the platform number, we made it onto the train. Now on the train, we were astounded to find people riding with their dogs, and not little fluffy things that would fit in a small handbag, I'm talking about a golden retriever! While I don't really have anything against it, such a simple thing just seemed so odd. With the lure of red beer so close, we decided to head to the previous night's resaturant for dinner. Navigating our way in the rain and the dark, somehow we made it.

Once happily engaged, warm and dry, beer in one hand and pizza in the other, I became somewhat confused. Why was the restaurant playing music, a TV news station and some other music? After thinking nothing much of it for a while, I suddenly had an epiphany - it was my phone! Oops! Clearly, I have no idea what it sounds like! It turns out that Holly, Kat and Nessa had gotten on the wrong train by accident and were on their way back to Milan! Luckily they made it back safe and sound, despite Kat 'nearly dying'! Massive relief!

After another journal writing party, which reminds me, John, I still want a copy of what you wrote, the girls arrived back, safe and sound, if somewhat chilly! Phew...






Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb