Venice, Italy - Day 2, Ducale Palace


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 22nd 2007
Published: October 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After playing with pigeons we decide to check out the Ducale Palace since the line was short. The entrance puts you into an open courtyard which is connected to the Basilica San Marco. The domed steeples, statues and ornate design is mind blowing and stunning.

The Palazzo Ducale, Ducale Palace or Doge’s Palace, was the seat of the government of Venice for centuries. As well as being the home of the Doge (the elected ruler of Venice) it was the venue for its law, courts, civil administration and bureaucracy and the city jail.

We were not suppose to take pictures inside the palace so we don not have much to show how amazing it was. Although we did sneak a couple shots. The sizes of the rooms and the detailed paintings, molding and sculptures on the ceiling are incredible. The palace is stripped of most of its contents; but the walls, floors and ceilings are all grand works of art. There was a cool display of armory and weapons. The suits of armor were so tiny it amazes us how little and/or how young they must have been back in the day.

The palace is connected to the new prison by the Famous Bridge of Sighs and is the last part of the tour into the palace before coming back to the open courtyard.

After an hour or so making our way through grand rooms and the prison connected we find our way out and now back into San Marco Sq. looking up at the Campanile- Bell Tower. It is time for us to go see the much anticipated Basilica San Marco. Not realizing the time & day (Sunday), we had missed the opportunity to go in and it was just closing. DARN! Heard it was something NOT to miss. All the more reason to hurry back I guess.

As we are peering in, wishing we could go inside a bride and groom exit the Basilica. We enjoy watching their guest welcome them out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Scala De Oro (Ceiling of The Golden Staircase)Scala De Oro (Ceiling of The Golden Staircase)
Scala De Oro (Ceiling of The Golden Staircase)

Sneaked photo from inside the Ducale Palace. (by JK)
Armory in Ducale PalaceArmory in Ducale Palace
Armory in Ducale Palace

Sneaked photo of cannon and weapons room. (by JK)
Grand Windows of Ducale PalaceGrand Windows of Ducale Palace
Grand Windows of Ducale Palace

Tower peeking up is the San Giorgio Island Bell Tower (by JK)


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 90; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb