Glass and Gondolas


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
July 31st 2018
Published: July 6th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our last day in Italy was full in Venice. We started our on our boat ride to Island of Murano, known for its artistic and colorful Murano glassware. Here we watch a glassblower complete a vase and horse in a matter or minutes. Skilled hands completing the work flawlessly. After viewing many of the beautiful works of art made here, we, of course, had to make a purchase of our own. We then boarded our boat back to the city to visit St. Mark's Square. We started with a tour of the Doge's Palace, official residence of the Venetian ruler. The palace is filled with works of art and links to the Bridge of Sighs where prisoners were taken on their way to jail.

From there we toured the Golden Basilica of St. Mark, built over several centuries in a fusion of Byzantine, Roman and Venetian architecture. After leaving the Basilica we walked to a small restaurant for lunch. After lunch we spent some time walking the shops that line the square before taking a gondola ride on the canals.

Our time in Italy ended with a final dinner with our traveling companions.


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb