A day on the Venetian lagoon


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 26th 2019
Published: May 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Spent the day visiting two other islands in the Venetian lagoon - Burano and Murano. Where many European cities have extensive bus/subway public transport services - Venice has boats. The network is extensive and considering how many people they need to service - very effective.

First stop was Burano, known for its fine lace making and very colorful houses. Not too big and not too crowded and a great excuse to have a cappuccino and "Burano bussola (biscuit)". It takes about an hour to cross the lagoon to Burano - we said they were efficient, no fast!

Next stop was Murano, know for its glassworks. Very quaint island but a bit more crowded as is only 10 min. from Venice proper. Gee found a very nice osteria with a great outdoor garden and very local feel. It is about 120 years old and still owned as co-op by 50 local Murano families. Exceptionally good food, gnocchi for Gee and pasta with clams for .... They didn't have to wash the plates when we were done.

The forecast for tomorrow is heavy rain all day so we're fortunate that we've accomplished all our Venice goals and will probably get the opportunity to give our feet a rest.

By the way we have discovered that apparently it is a law in Venice that you need to end each day with a stroll to a place close to you and have a scoop of gelato - and we have made sure to obey all the local laws when we travel!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



27th May 2019

Souvenirs from Murano and Burano........?
How difficult is it to keep from buying lots of souvenirs from Murano and Burano? The glass from Murano looks so beautiful and colorful. Continue to enjoy your travels..........
27th May 2019

Bought one small pair of earrings . I only have a backpack so can't get much . The food is very good but might be eating a bit too much bread?

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb