Our final Day


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Padua
February 26th 2008
Published: February 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We awoke to another fog bound day…so we set out on an adventure with Joan & John Stone and Janet & Carl Sten. We boarded the train in Mestre headed to Padua (this was fairly easy and the ticket clerk was helpful). We headed to Padua to see Basilica di Sant’ Antonio “Il Santo.”

We disembarked from the train and contemplated taking the tram or walking. The ticket clerk advised us that Il Santo was an easy, straight 1K walk. Unfortunately, we decided to veer from the easy, straight path and follow the brown information signs. This path tooks us the more scenic route thru Piazza Nievo and Santa Sofia.

We did make to the Basiclica and were awed at the frescos, sculptures, paintings and alters that filled the church. The “padovani” built one of Christendom’s most lavish churches to house the remains of St. Anthony who ironically rejected worldly wealth.

Next we made our way with fits and starts to the city center and enjoyed good pizza and vino rosso at PePan (recommended in guide book).

We took a much shorter and direct route back to the train station along Corso Garibaldi. Feeling confident that we were headed back to Mestre and not Rome, we boarded the train and congratulated ourselves on a wonderful and fun adventure.

We ended the evening with wine and the comrade of the group and head for the airport at 4:55am tomorrow.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb