disney in the dolomites


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Dolomites
August 11th 2015
Published: August 13th 2015
Edit Blog Post

For the last two years I have been feeling guilty that I HAVE NOT LIFTED A leg or arm to exercise- after this trip - I am throwing that guilt away.

WE have reached the Dolomites and it feels like the Disneyland of nature. The jagged Mountain range is spectacular as the edges of each mountain lies against the skyline.The trails that overlook the valleys have breathtaking views of small and quant villages that are scattered all around.

We are staying in a small town in the Dolomites called San Cassiano. It's about a 2 hour walk to each town- don't get me wrong you can drive but why drive when you can walk? Every morning we choose a hiking trail and then we start to climb, climb and climb. What's amazing is that when you get to the top of these mountains you are surprised to see a completely different world. A Plateau of green grassy fields that has just been mowed ( yes that right they mow their mountain grass).

The smell reminds me of spring and this strong need to lay down and just stare for ever. But since we are getting into shape I don't lie down and stare - we walk to the other side... after walking for about 6 hours I noticed that the ski Gondolas were working and decided it wouldn't be cheating if we took one down the mountain. We can play this game of walking , climbing and riding the gondola - what we would call MOUNTAIN HOPPING

- fun fun fun.. until it doesn't work

Tuesday we chose a new route. Treked up a mountain to a mountain hut (its a restaurant and place for people to sleep who just walk the dolomites) called Jimmy from their we decided to walk another 4 hours alone the ridge of a mountain and then take the gondola down from the Edelweiss hut but OMG.. no gondola down and a decent of 800 meters in steep downfall we dragged our bodies down the hill - all the while I'm doing my lamaze breathing to keep my knee pain at bay - found the right bus (which is pretty amazing since the drivers speak no english at all) and passed out!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

huttehutte
hutte

at the top of each gondola stop there are playgrounds for children to play.. my heart goes to the parents dragging their kids on these mountain hikes. the screams of the children echo throughout the valley...


Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb