Heads and Castles


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Castelfranco Veneto
May 29th 2010
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.6713, 11.9262

We were all ready to jump in the car, for another day of sightseeing, when Matthew commented that his hands were very dirty and red…..but he hadn't noticed that he had cut his head and it was blood running down his little head making his hands so "dirty". A heartstopping moment, remembering when he fell off the trampoline and split his little head – this time, no such dramas, but he was very distressed about the blood, so we changed our plans. My little man sat and cuddled mummy and watched cartoons for a couple of hours, whilst Steven and the big kids wandered around Asolo. Sometimes we need to take it easy, and give the kids the time that they need to just relax!

Nonno and Nonna headed off to Pordenone, where we are going tomorrow to see family. We had a quiet lunch, then a sleep – it was after 4pm when we all woke! We started out again on our sightseeing – through Pio X (another town named after a Pope) to Castelfranco, which is a walled town, and to Cittadella. Castelfranco is very nice – the walled section is small, and just the right size for wandering in, although it is not a tourist town. The walls are very square – different to many others that we have seen. There was a famous painting by Giorgione, in the Duomo, which we saw, and also visited the chapel of the martyrs, which was part of a pilgrimage set out by Pope John Paul II – the body of young St Justin (I think it was Justin), who was just a boy when he was martyred. We had a lovely walk, through the park next to the city walls, back to the car.

Then to Cittadella – if it hadn't been for roadworks and a deviation, we would have been there earlier. However, as soon as we arrived, the kids saw a playground, so we spent half an hour with them whizzing down a slippery slide built into the side of a hill. It is light so late at night – it is very hard to remember to think about dinner etc. when the sun is still bright and hot at 5pm, and the sun doesn't set until after 9pm!

We had time for a wander through the town, but it seemed that the city walls, which we had hoped to walk, were either closed for renovations or we didn't find where the entrance was. The town was very pretty, with people everywhere but we were starting to get hungry, and we couldn't find a single restaurant in the city walls – only bars and people having their aperitifs and evening walks. So we decided to quickly return to Asolo, where we could have a bowl of pasta at our own little home, and watch the people walking by our little patio.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



5th June 2010

Matthew Matthew Matthew What have you done?Hope you were ok Em & J
5th June 2010

Poor little Matthew, I hpe he feeling better now.Kaylene your comments are always fantastique,also the pictures.We have very warm in Ticino 28?Have a nice weekend

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb