Italy 123 - Asolo /you give us Cyprus and we will give you Asolo/ A free aire but one we didnt feel comfortable on


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Asolo
September 30th 2017
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

So after a day of unsuccessful searching for interesting medieval walled towns we decided to cut our losses and head for yes you guessed it - another one. This time Asolo described in the guide books as bella. A town that had been frequented in the 19th century by young men on their grand tours. In the 20th century by writers and interlectuals. who settled there. We had searched out a free sosta on Forestier which was within walking distance of the town albeit up hill all the way.

When we arrived via yet another circuitous Silly Sat Nag route the car park was virtually empty with the exception of a Swiss motorhome whose owner looked to be up town. The lower car park was taken up by the sosta which was guarded by a hedge and a barrier which was firmly shut. There were two vans on the sosta, electricity posts and water. However how we get in was to be a mystery which I never solved. There was a small shed hidden away around a corner. There was no sign of life but it looked as if someone had been there at some point in the morning. The light was left on and papers were strewn across a table. We decided to park up and walk up to the town and see what it had to offer.

The walk up left our feet sore and our legs stinging. Uphill all the way until we reached the arcaded shops which like the sosta were shut. Dead as a doornail. They looked full of designer clothes, handbags blinged up to the hilt. Shiny shoes with sparkly bits. Narrowly cut trousers and jewellry. Not a tat shop in sight. There were people about. Older women in those designer trousers and blouses, handbag over shoulder and high heeled boots. Topped off with a scarf tied Italian style. If they wore a coat it was either cream long and belted or short and leather. The men had shiny shoes, neatly pressed trousers, shirts, no tie and a jumper drapped over their shoulders. Sometimes a dog was a must have accessory.

The main square was typically Italian but empty. There were cafes and restaurants but for some reason they were empty. No customers sitting there drinking their espressos or capaccinos. No men drinking beer nor any woman drinking aperatifs. It felt odd
The castle view The castle view The castle view

The castle view
and devoid of any character. We asked each other what must it have been like during the Grand Tours. We answered each other with the words - busier than this one would hope. We wandered why writers found their way here. It was not that inspiring . Or was it us? Were we picking the wrong places to visit? Is this the wrong time of the year to call? It was cold and autumnal with a chill that did not inspire you to stay long.

The Duomo was unfinished to the exterior and baroque inside . The walls of many of the Palazzos were decorated with coats of arms which hinted at a former glory . Somehow they felt shabby . Had Greece spoilt us? We wanted a wow factor and it just wasnt coming. Perhaps you get fed up of the same thing and get stale. We have read many blogs were a person who normally enjoys travelling finds themself questioning what they were doing. Not getting any enjoyment out of what they were seeing. It takes something different and special to bring that feeling back. We need a new country I think or a bit of good luck.

The castle was the last place we walked up to. That too was closed, the place empty and rattling and the cafes shut. I wondered what the Queen of Cyprus thought when she had to give up Cyprus and was given Asolo. To be fair it did have some fantastic views across the valley.

We decided to walk back down to Suzy and have some tea before settling in for the night. Our Swiss neighbour had left . The two vans on the sosta had departed . There was still no sign of any life in the little hut. There is a saying amongst motorhomers when they talk about sostas or aires. You drive on and you look around. Do you like what you see? Do you feel comfortable? If not then drive away. First impressions count. We thought the car park Ok but we were on our own and it was out of town. Did we feel safe? Did we feel comfortable drawing our blinds and sleeping. No we did not so we made the decision to reprogramme Suzy and drive to a campground near Vincenza. Of course what that did was take us away from tomorrows stop - Monte Grappa and Asti.

We ended up on a hotel campsite . It reminded me of Hotel Reggio in Salamanca. It was empty. There were just a handful of vans parked up. It cost 25 euros a night as it was not an ACSI site but this was discounted to 23 euros. We didnt use the facilities as we arrived late and left early in the morning . Tomorrow a new plan. We head for Gorizia on the border between Italy and Slovenia. There is a castle to visit - thats assuming Silly Sat Nag finds the parking and the castle is open.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb