Willy Wonka or Harriet and the Chocolate Factory


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Perugia
August 24th 2012
Published: September 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

On our last day in Umbria and Tuscany, Fiona finally managed to get a photograph of a field of sunflowers. Fiona and Toby left Harriet in bed for the second day in a row. Today it was to go back to the Prada outlet and buy a handbag. For the second time Fiona didn't see any she liked and left disappointed. Toby, however, found a t shirt and a cardigan and is now a Prada fan.

We picked Harriet up and went into Purugia for the last time. This time we were headed slightly out of town to the Purigina Chocolate factory. This is where all chocolate Baci are made. Wherever you buy them around the world, they are made here. We joined a tour and learnt about the history and the process of making Baci. The tour then went around the factory. It was reasonably interesting and informative but the bit Harriet was looking forward to came next. We got to taste the chocolates. We could eat as much as we wanted and we all ate a little bit much. Fiona doesn't really like chocolate, but there were lollies as well. Toby liked the high percent chocolate and Harriet liked the Baci. She especially liked the anniversary white chocolate special Baci. We ate so much we didn't feel like buying any, so we looked around the shop headed into town.

For Harriet and Toby, it doesn't matter how much chocolate you have eaten , it is still gelato time. We went back into the city so they could visit Augustus Perugia once more. The chocolate factory is near the mini metro, so we parked the car and jumped on board. The mini metro is Perugia's solution to keep cars out of the town. It is an automated train with cars every minute or so that goes up hill into the town. With the 3 of us riding there and back, it actually worked out as a very expensive way of parking, so we weren't surprised that the car park was practically empty and there didn't seem to be huge numbers of people using the system. We scared ourselves when we bought the tickets. We bought six so we could go up and back, but they all said "UP" on them. We convinced ourselves we had just wasted money as we would have to buy down tickets and then we remembered we were in Italy and if they were to go up only they would say ascendere or something similar. UP actually stood for Unico Perugia. It's a good thing to laugh at yourself occasionally.

We packed again when we got back. We had stayed in the same place for three weeks so that we didn't have to keep packing, but it still felt like we had only just unpacked. We tried to be clever and only have what we need for the weekend in small bags so the it ones don't have to be opened at all. Who would have known that packing could be so technical?

We had intended to go to a really nice vineyard for our final dinner, but none of us could be bothered. Aine and Fabio were eating at a restaurant down the road and suggested we go there too. We thought this sounded a better plan. We had a lovely meal. James and Eliabetta spent as much time at our table as at their mum and dads which was cute, until Elisabetta thought we should see her bum! When it came time to leave, we had a lovely surprise. Aine and Fabio took care of the bill for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb