Sunday 23rd in Orvieto


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Orvieto
September 23rd 2018
Published: September 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Despite being up early with the idea of visiting the duomo we were surprised to find out that it did not open on Sundays until 2:30 as there were multiple services being preformed. So our plans changed and we headed for the quaint little streets and medieval byways. On the way we stopped at the archaeological museum and had a fabulous conversation with one of the men that run the place. Seems there are lots of Etruscan tombs and ancient burial sites in the tufa all around the city.

Orvieto is a wonderful little city with lots of children and families living very pleasant and relaxed lives just 60 minutes from downtown Rome. After some nice views and curious little back streets, we made our way back to one of the restaurants we had heard about and requested an early table. Thank heaven as the restaurant, Trattoria del Moro Aronne, only has ONE table for people without reservations. We quickly learned why as we discovered wild boar (chinghale) was on the menu. This only-in-the-fall experience is incredibly special … as was the entire meal. Both of us ordered appetizers and were they fresh and different. John had pecorino mousse from Norcia and Peggy had a truffle dish that had every flavor you can imagine included. While John enjoyed his fettuccine with boar ragu, Peggy had a succulent rabbit.

Incredibly satisfied we took a break and rested a little before visiting the duomo and the Signorelli Chapel with its Last Judgment. A lot we could learn from the frescoes … if we are observant. More wandering and then a little sitting at cafes and finally retiring to bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0665s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb