Time to catch up?


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Corciano
November 10th 2011
Published: November 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Oh wow, it sure has been a while since i have posted something on here. I can only blame myself for this, and i will try and make these last two and a half weeks as interesting as possible for all you readers out there (Which is like 5 nor counting my family) But anywhoooo, here is what has happened since last time!

Last time i ended was with me lying in a hotel room in Florence. Florence really was a great city, everything was close by, and just like Rome, it felt like you were walking in History. But also, unlike Rome, Florence was cleaner, less crowded, and less touristy, which was very nice!

What i did not write about last time was when we saw Michelangelo's David in the Academica Museo. Just a stone throw away from the Duomo we found one of the most known sculptures in all of history.
While in there, we sort of rushed through everything at the beginning, just to see David. He was not hard to miss, in fact you could not miss him. This huge piece of marble stood erect and proudly in front of us at the end of a long hall. He is much bigger in reality. Here we all spent a lot of time, just staring at this giant. Myself i spent about an hour and a half just looking at him. Such pure beauty in this piece!
The rest of Academica was not as eye pleasing as the David, but surely, it had some cool stuff.

Not being able to remeber the chronological order of everything i can tell you that i climbed to the top of the Cathedral with Shane and Melissa J, went to Dante Alighieri's house, and went to Piazza Michelangelo by myself on a gorgeous afternoon walk!

On that Saturday, we packed our bags and headed for the train station, for our final stop of this journey: Perugia.
The train ride was great, great scenic view and just the right amount of time to not get sick of riding it!
Well in Perugia we met up once again with Richard Helzer and with the assistant of Villa Pieve, Roberto Ciampi.
They took us safely to Villa Pieve, which is a pretty big Villa with beautiful surroundings, and a castle.... It lies beneath the hill "city" of Corciano.

Here we also met Julia Becker, who is an Art professor from the University of Great Falls, she was going to be our art teacher for the next three weeks.

It took some time to settle in here at the Villa, but as soon as we did, it all was perfect. I kept rooming with Jase, as i have this entire trip. So far we haven't gotten on each others nerves, and i doubt we will either.
The first week was a mixture of Art history in the morning, followed by Art in the afternoon, and the Italian classes on tuesdays and thursdays.

Here the chronological order once again is mixed up, but my parents arrived here at the Villa, just in time to see us have our final in art History; The Italian Bowl.
I was teamed up with: Ben, Maggie, Dana and Katy
Unfortunately, we only finished second.... even though we had the lead from the start until the last two rounds where we fell on answering our questions without thinking. But hey, second place is better than nothing!

So with my parents here, we decided to go to Rome for a day. Having already spent a week in Rome, i already had laid out a plan for how we would be able to tackle the entire city in just a few hours. But we did it, and my parents seemed very happy about the tour that i gave them. From the Vatican to the Coliseum.
This happended on friday, so on Sunday we went to Florence for a quick visit. But we also brought with us Julia, because she really wanted to see Florence again. So we walked and walk and walked, mostly beacuse there where huge lines to all the museums, and we really didn't want to stand in a line for that long. But all and all, it was a great trip and a great weekend. So after that myy parents left and i focused on the last two peices for our art course and for the critique that was coming up.

After trying, and trying to draw with pencil, i gave it up and went to the more freely and more physically challenging Charcoal. This was a process that i really enjoyed, because i have always enjoyed working with my hands. Perhaps why i am a keeper?
Well the three pieces came out really nice and i got some great critique on them, and i must say, that i never thought that i would ever be proud of an drawing of mine, but now, i have three!

So with the end of art class, so ends this blog. I will write about my travels during travel week later tonight!
Ciao 😊

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb