San Damiano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Umbria » Assisi
September 25th 2019
Published: September 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

As usual John was up early and walking the streets looking for the perfect light. Lots of great pictures but one stood out because it was taken as the morning sun hit Perugia a lit up the entire city. Wow. So very sorry that the lens was not telephoto. Needless to say, it was quite special. John stopped on the way back to the flat for sweets which were consumed with a high level of satisfaction. And so began the day.

Peggy was not feeling too well so decided to stay close to home for the day. So Ursula, Chad and John walked to San Damiano down the hill and outside the city walls. This little monastery was the place where St. Francis had the realization of his path in life, and later it became the cloister for St Chiara and her order. A very special place that almost no one visits. It is truly amazing to note how few understand the trajectory of St Francis’ life. Most simply pack the cathedral and his tomb and then visit Santa Maria degli Angeli where he died. Although impressive, neither can match the simple life St Francis led in places like San Damiano and the Hermitage up on the side of Mount Subasio. And now, with the crisis we face in climate change the message of St Francis is even more important for all of us to understand: peace, nature and simplicity.

After San Damiano Ursula drove us down to Santa Maria degli Angeli where we walked through the cathedral and the huge store and library, then off to meet Rosella for an aperitivo and lunch. As always, she was charming and illuminating as we chatted about Umbria and art and politics and such. Lunch was at Ristorante Deco in Ponte San Giovanni, a wonderful restaurant where government and business people go to eat. Fabulous wine list, wonderful food (specialty is fish) and three hours later we emerged to drive back to Bastia and Assisi. After a quick snooze the day was done and we enjoyed the setting of the sun on this special place, thinking: how lucky we are!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb