Rain, Olive Oil and Napoleon's Brother


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany
May 18th 2010
Published: May 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Lunch at Bonaparte's placeLunch at Bonaparte's placeLunch at Bonaparte's place

Cope with a meal that we'll try to replicate at home... deliciosa
Well, we're getting a little behind since we're off the ship everyday now. But... we'll try to recap ;-) We left the ship and headed by bus in a ton of rain (so what's new) for Tuscania, about an hour and a half away. We saw Etruscan villages on the tops of hills with towers and beautiful countryside with rolling green hills and lots of vegatables growing, corn, tomatoes, squash, artichokes, herbs, olives and lots of cattle and sheep. We stopped for awhile (just long enough to soak our tennis shoes) and walked thought the old walled city of Tuscania. Fresh bread smells were coming from the bakery so one couple broke off the tour and headed straight for it, but... not us ;-) we had to see the views of Tuscany, pet a local cat and get back on the bus. Pretty but short and wet stop.

Now we were off to a vineyard and olive tasting. Turned out it was at the former hunting lodge of Luciano Bonaparte, the brother of Napoleon. Two young people, Simone and her husband and children now make olive oil and have thousands of trees. They treated us to a wonderful lunch as you can see by Cope's picture. Then after a little purchase of olive pate (we're having it each night at dinner) it was back on the bus for the trip to the ship. This was really one of the lovliest days that we've had. Rain or no rain, it was peaceful and beautiful with lovely people and and a wonderful meal. We LOVE Tuscany ;-)

Advertisement



18th May 2010

Bella Tuscany
One of our most memorable meals from our '03 Med Cruise was lunch in a vineyard/olive oil farm in Tuscany, just outside San Gimignano. Don't you just want to live there for a whole summer? Enjoy!! Thanks for all the news; hope the weather improves.

Tot: 0.35s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb