Day 11 - THE day watch out, Nana's on a Vespa


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Siena
October 20th 2013
Published: November 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A leisurely start to THE day and then we were picked up at our accom and off we went to start our Vespa tour with a vino-tasting lunch in Chianti. It was everything and more! A definite highlight and I would recommend it to anyone. We all loved it. Travelling through the countryside was like being in the middle of a pastel painting! Didn't take long to master the bike and confidently avoid traffic and round the corners. We stopped in beautiful Castellina in Chianti and in Monteriggioni, where Irene said "if I lived here, I would be a princess"😊) Greg tried to wheel stand his Vespa at the end of the tour. Luckily not too much damage to the bike but he was pretty battered. The day was so magical (and we enjoyed the company of the two sisters - one from England and one from Canada) that we gave a koha and Greg thanked our two guides in traditional way, with waita. On a recommendation we went to a traditional trattoria in the historical area of Siena and had a fabulous evening meal. An American couple noticed it was my birthday and sent a carafe of red wine to the table, then joined us for short time. Kerry Greig and David (from NZ and contacted via Facebook) met up for a quick chat and a photo. Ooops, perhaps one too many aperitif of limoncello and of saffron "with 150 secret spices, a recipe known only by two people and handed down from father to son - a witches brew"! cos we headed to the piazza for a quick lay down, enjoying the evening atmosphere. I cracked up (with Brendan laughing at me) over seeing a 'Cinese' restaurant - but that's how it's spelt in Italian. Taxi home and another nightcap or two before losing consciousness. There was a massive thunder and lightning storm, which several of the gang slept through, and which caused widespread flooding around the region.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb