Snow Day!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » San Gimignano
March 9th 2010
Published: March 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Stuck in the snowStuck in the snowStuck in the snow

There are definitely worse places to be stuck in the snow. It's still so pretty here.
(Tuesday March 9) The first picture on this page is the view from our room as I write this on Tuesday March 9 at about 3pm. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are from last night (Monday) when we went to dinner at an Osteria in Borgatella, a small town outside of San G. It was cold (hence my snow hat) but completely clear of clouds and no sign of snow.

Grazia (our hostess at the farmhouse) told us it would probably snow today and warned us to stay close to the farmhouse in case the dirt road became impassable. We brushed off her warning thinking - how bad could it really get?

At 8am the snow started falling. It didn't really look like snow -- just a few flakes here and there. Around noon it was lightly snowing but nothing was sticking to the ground. At about 130 it really started coming down. Grazia was right...thank goodness we decided at the last minute to come back to the farmhouse just in case.

We are now stuck - and i mean STUCK - in the farmhouse. It's now a blizzard outside. We can't drive down the hill because we
Dinner at Osteria in BorgatellaDinner at Osteria in BorgatellaDinner at Osteria in Borgatella

On Monday night we went to an Osteria in Borgatella - a small town outside San G. It was cold but completely clear outside.
don't have 4wd and no chains so we are literally snowed in - possibly until Thursday (!!). Fortunately we have tons of wine and the food at the farmhouse is amazing :-) All of the tv shows are in Italian so we are doing a lot of web surfing, blogging and reading...that said, Italian MTV and Italian Deal or No Deal are very entertaining.







Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Dinner at Osteria in BorgatellaDinner at Osteria in Borgatella
Dinner at Osteria in Borgatella

I think we have wine or beer in our hands in every picture we take.
San G. weather at NoonSan G. weather at Noon
San G. weather at Noon

This is a picture taken around noon outside a small beergarten close to the farmhouse where we went for lunch today (Tuesday). We were warned to stay near the farmhouse in case the weather got worse. At this point, we were skeptical...
Lunch at BeergartenLunch at Beergarten
Lunch at Beergarten

Keeping warm inside the beergarten for lunch.
San G. weather at 130 pmSan G. weather at 130 pm
San G. weather at 130 pm

Okay, so a little heavier and the snow is starting to stick to the ground. We decided to drive back to the farmhouse just after lunch. Our little Fiat Panda did just fine on the dirt road. Snow is not that bad...yet.
San G. at 2pmSan G. at 2pm
San G. at 2pm

Blizzard. We got back to the farmhouse literally in the nick of time. The road is completely snowed in - no way we would have made it back up the hill.
Me in the snowMe in the snow
Me in the snow

Not wearing my fabulous new Italian leather boots. Silly me!!


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.034s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0422s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb