San Gimignano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » San Gimignano
March 7th 2010
Published: March 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Wine BarWine BarWine Bar

The line-up of wine glasses.
(Saturday March 6) After arriving at the farmhouse and getting situated we headed right off for San Gimignano. There are many small hill towns in the Tuscany region and this one is only 10 minutes away from where we are staying.

San Gimignano is one of the "larger" hill towns in the area, however by larger it just means that its area is measured in yards instead of feet. The whole town is only about 500 meters across and is completely surrounded by a huge stone wall. No driving is permitted in the town except by the residents and service vehicles. The town is very rustic however we learned later that it is a perfectly preserved tourist trap and much of the rustic is faux. It is still very impressive with its very tall and very old towers that once belonged to noble families that ran the town.

We walked around a bit before settling down at a wine bar waiting for the restaurants to open for dinner (they don't open till 7:30 PM or later). As with many of the hill towns in the area, San Gimignano produces it's own wine. However, the best is the Brunello that
Wine BarWine BarWine Bar

The friendly guys at the wine bar opening up another bottle of wine for us.
comes from Montalcino (which we are planning to visit later).

We didn't get too many photos of the town on this first visit, but since it is so close to where we are staying we hope to get more photos later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Dinner in San GDinner in San G
Dinner in San G

Wild Boar is the local delicacy so Scott had to try it. This was a VERY good restaurant.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb