A Visit to Tuscany


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
October 21st 2006
Published: October 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Florence, Italy


I didn't think we would ever make it. Our exit from Seville began before the crack of dawn to make our way back to Italy. We flew to London Gatwick and bored ourselves for over 6 hours during our layover before landing in a chilly Pisa. We were there. It took 16 hours. But we were there. Our bus driver never informed us of our stop so we took the loop on the route and almost ended up back at the airport. A few hours of sleep later we were in the Campo dei Miracoli enjoying the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the slanting Cathedral and Baptistry that accompanies it. It currently leans at 4.1 meters from the perpendicular and appears that it's going to topple over any minute with just the slightest gust of wind. But never fear, I pushed it back to stability.

We arrived the same day to an even colder Florence and rested in our non-heated 22-bed dorm at the hostel. We awoke each morning to the shouts of "Buongiorno" from an old hag who wanted to clean our room and who locked us out for four hours a day. We both are in need of
Take that!Take that!Take that!

LEANING on the Leaning Tower of Pisa
much rest as we are attempting to get over colds and lack of sleep due to the enormity of our room. People are coming and going at all times. Some simply do not know how to be considerate of 15 other people sleeping as they hold conversations at midnight like it was midday.

It is a rather small city with scooters and SMART cars zipping down the narrow one-way streets. An expensive city, too. Florentines absolutely love their fashion wear and styles. Some are utterly ridiculous especially on many of the older women.

We first visited the Duomo (Catedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore), a candy cane looking church that is the center of Florence. Its terracotta-orange roof contrasts dramatically with the red, green and white marble facade of this skyline-dominating cathedral. Begun in 1294, it took almost 150 years to complete and includes stained-glass windows done by Donatello, among others. We climbed the 414-step bell tower that provided gorgeous views over the city. The bells erupted as we reached the platform and deafened our ears.
We then set off to the Galleria Dell'Accademia to view perhaps the world's most recognized and famous sculpture in the Western World-Michelangelo's
Leaning Tower of PisaLeaning Tower of PisaLeaning Tower of Pisa

Pushing the tower back to stability
"David". Sculpted from a huge leftover piece of marble from the Duomo, it makes you feel so tiny and holds such an intimidating presence. The intricate detail was jaw-dropping. The veins in his hand, his face, shoulder and slingshot, and even his mullet. Everything was to scale and absolutely perfect. The Gallery also included the "Rape of the Sabines" showing three larger-than-life figures completely twisted together introducing the concept of contusion to art.

Our tour of the Palazzo degli Uffizi included works from all of the Italian and Florentine masters and housed Botticelli's "Birth of Venus", Titian's "Venus of Urbino", and other works by Tintoretto and Carvaggio. The turtle clan--Donatello, Raphael, Michelangelo and Leonardo, including his masterpieces and theories on human anatomy and flight--also had a dominating presence.

After walking our way through the open-air market by the Medici Chapel we explored the Ponte Vecchio, the only bridge to survive Nazi bombing during WWII. A 14th century bridge once lined with gold and silversmiths' shops, it is currently lined with many small jewelry shops. It originally housed butchers but when a corridor along the first floor was built by the Medici's to link the Palazzo Pitti and Vecchio, they ordered them out in favor of gold and silver trade.

The weather has not exactly been on our side the past few days. It has been sweater and umbrella weather. Hopefully, things are on the up for our next stop.

Next Up: Cinque Terre, Italy; October 22, 2006

http://www.travelblog.org/gmaps/map_2c0.html


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

CampanileCampanile
Campanile

414 steps up the belltower
View from the BelltowerView from the Belltower
View from the Belltower

the Palazzo Vecchio down below
Michelangelo's "David"Michelangelo's "David"
Michelangelo's "David"

A copy in Piazza Signoria
Ponte VecchioPonte Vecchio
Ponte Vecchio

In front of the Galleria Uffizi


21st October 2006

If it's any comfort...
...I'm sitting here in San Salvador, in front of my computer, swadled in two comforters (afghans...whatever you call a homemade blanket) cuz I'm COLD!!! Especially since losing 55 pounds w/ only 5 more to go. I guess that tower really does lean...what's the solution? If the two of ya'll can't straighten it up (I enjoyed the photos), I guess it's going to fall one of these days! When do ya'll return? I'm headed to Garberville, CA (landing in Angelina's hometown of Arcata, CA) for a week. Just letting you know I'll be out of the country WITH permission!! Love you both...be good to one another.
21st October 2006

why
Adrienne wants to know why you are not imitating the statue of David like you did in every other one of your poses in front of landmarks/sculptures...PS... you look like u could be gay happily smiling in front of a naked man..whats up with that
21st October 2006

you lucky bastards
i thought i couldnt be any more envious of you two, but now i realize that is obviously false. florence looks so awesome and is def the most beautiful city in the world in my opinion, i hope to go back and live there one day. it looks like you guys are having a blast and keep living it up. tenille, i consider you a member of our proverbial 'family' and look forward to meeting you; take care of the real deal for us. Sgt. Sloppy, bring me back something hot! holla.
23rd October 2006

David
Brett and Adrienne, I hope you read this....I insisted that Ryan pose like David and he refused. Talk about a party pooper, no???

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb