Italy 57- Pienza - another little gem of a hilltop Tuscan town


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pienza
May 27th 2013
Published: May 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We woke early and decided to try breakfast before we left for Pienza. It was included in the price 6 euros for the plot and 10 euros each – probably the most expensive site we had chosen all holiday and the one with the least facilties.

Breakfast did not impress either. It was set out in the same dark dining room we ate in last night . And it was full of the workers who were getting ready to start their daily chores and the Americans who were looking at buying honey and jam to take home. Breakfast consisted of the same hearty bread as last night with jams and honey. No meat or cheese apart from the goats cheese so we decided to pay up if we could and move on. This was easier said than done. However in the end we paid our 69 euros for the plot and evening meal and unhook Suzy and get the hell out of there

The rain had subsided and the grey road was dusty as we headed for the main road and Pienza. Another hilltop town with Papal palace and cathedral.

Parking – well our book told us there was a sosta which we could park up on and walk into town. We found this easily but Mr Builder had decided to park his van across the two roads blocking them off to to everything but cars. We eventually found another sosta with spaces for about six motorhomes. Shame that one car had to take up one of the motorhome spaces.

We walked into town which took us about 10 minutes. It is one street town again with alleyways coming off it. Each with their own view of that unique Tuscany countryside. We sat and had a coffee with our American friends. It was a quiet day in Pienza and it was lovely to watch life go by slowly.

We walked through the town which was originally called Corsignano. When a local lad became pope he decided to rebuild his birthplace and call it Pienza. We saw his palace which was built on the site of the older church which he dropped. His palace was built in the Renaisance style. We did not visit as it was a guided tour and we hate those but we did peek into the courtyard which looked very attractive.

We went i to the new church which is next door to the palace and contains six altar pieces of the Madonna and Child commissioned from the Sienese painters of the day . The architect Rossellinno was forced to build the Duomo on a cramped site and there were poor foundations which were evident as we felt we were walking downhill as we approached the main altar. The church was Baroque but felt bereft of any detail. .


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb