Day 29 - Pisa & Lucca


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
May 29th 2012
Published: April 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Having seen the best of Florence we decided to head for a day trip to Pisa and Lucca. Catching the local train was a fun and cheap way to travel with the station only a short walk from our hotel. A short train trip of about an hour we arrived at Pisa and to be honest the Tower is really the only thing to see there. Generally a rather drab place the tower and baptistery are a lovely interlude if you can get past the bloody souvenir stalls and hawkers trying to sell you all sorts of stuff, still they gotta make a living too.

Spending a couple of hours in Pisa it was soon time to leave and head off to the walled city of Lucca. Again catching the local train it was only a short trip to Lucca and what a stunning little town this is with the walled off old city. Entering the walled city was quite stunning and believe it or not, not too many people and while a tourist destination it was pretty low key. Being close to lunch we bought some take out and settled into the central square with coffee and cold drinks to while away an hour or so. Finishing up lunch we wandered the whole town, through tiny cobbled alleys opening onto large piazza’s, dotted with little churches and colourful buildings finishing off with a walk around the ramparts back to the central entry. Again with the day close to spent it was time to catch the train back to Florence and off for dinner at De’Medici. After dinner a quiet stroll around the area for a few photos and time to walk of the great food.



Tomorrow: ITALIA RAIL: Depart Florence SMN 09:39 Arrive Rome Termini 11:20


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb