Walkabout Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
March 25th 2008
Published: March 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ciao. Yes, I know, not much blogging lately. We left San Casciano yesterday. We wwoofed for 9 days and stayed and extra day cause we found out buses dont run on Pasqua (Easter). We did get to enjoy Easter lunch with our wwoof family. They were great. Kirsten, Pascal, Rudy, Oliver, and Anna. We had a great time and felt like part of a large italian family. And did I mention the food. Incredible. We learned to make homemade pasta (ravioli and noodles). Wonderful local wines. We had an apartment to ourselves. We did work pretty hard a few days (clearing out brambles, bamboo, etc.. off a bank that was in danger of taking over an olive garden). And did I mention we both made a couple of prints. You artsy folks would have loved it. Print making was totally cool as well. We are now in Lucca for a couple of days and it is a very sweet town. Mostly bikes in town. Walled city which we have walked most of and will walk some more today. Going back to Florence tomorrow cause we didnt go to the Uffizzi gallery when we were there. Ill let Moose write a bit. Expensive for internet time here at the TI so we will catch up later.
Squirrel

So much to tell, so little time. A few notes. Italians wear black, lots of black. And women, you have to wear big boots, preferably knee high with big heels. Especially if you are riding your scooter. You must look good!

It's true that we felt like part of the family, only they weren't Italian. She was a Kiwi and he was from Switzerland (at least his family was). But it was great. But now wwoofing is over an we are tourists again. With time we would tell you about the cat lady of Vernazza, who feed the strays on the hill above town where we watched the sunset. Beautiful. Some american tourists came up, snapped photos, then left before the sun went down. ? Stupido. There are stories about the conversations with the family over dinner around the big, country table (we sat on wooden benches). Ribs roasted over the fire, potatoes with rosemary, Rudy's rainbow trout, our own handmade ravioli, the dogs Charlie and Oz. I miss them all already! Can we come back!

Now the medieval town of Lucca with the walls made a park by Napoleon's sister. One more stop in Florence to see the Uffizi, then on to the Bolzano where we hope to get close up views of the Alps and some snow, then to Verona before the final stop in Venice. There is our plan. It will likely change.

Sorry there is no more for now but it's expensive. And we're cheap. See you again in 2 days from Firenze. Ciao!
Moose

Advertisement



25th March 2008

I am glad you are having such a great time. I can just picture it all. And you are not cheap or you wouldn't be there! ha ha Enjoy! Lori
26th March 2008

Is there still time for me to join you?
It all sounds wonderful! Wish we were there taking it all in with you. Is Dave updating you on the brackets? He's kicking everyone's butt, but then he's keeping score. Hmmmmmm......

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0671s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb