Passeggiata delle Mura


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Lucca
February 16th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Whomping WillowThe Whomping WillowThe Whomping Willow

I couldn't resist; I guess it is my mission to relate something to Harry Potter everywhere I go.
(Walk on the Walls) Our first "day trip" out of Florence took us to the medieval Tuscan town of Lucca (west of Florence, before Pisa). The historic part of the city is completely walled, although the "walls" are so wide that it is almost like a park with a tree lined "street" around the city. We saw kids playing soccer, and locals jogging or reading the newspaper on one of the many benches. We walked around for 2 (of 3) miles, enjoying the sunshine and singing random songs from musicals. I guess the streets and trees reminded us of Sound of Music (though set in Austria), good thing there weren't too many people around. I am sure people thought we were just culturally confused when we tried to react the Beatle's Abbey Road cover on a side street. Oh well!

It is just like any typical Italian town we have been in so far, with cobblestone walkways and terra-cotta roof buildings. It was pretty quiet, without a whole lot of tourists which made it nice. We walked around different streets and saw a few of their 99 churches. We stopped at a little ristorante for a bite to eat and then headed over to the famous chocolate shop, Caniparoli. We had walked past the window earlier in the day and after that it is pretty much all we thought about. Unfortunately when we went back after lunch it was closed. You gotta love the Italians for their three hour afternoon breaks. Fortunately we found another bakery up the street which turned out to be pretty good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Apartments inside the WallsApartments inside the Walls
Apartments inside the Walls

Apartments with private gardens
Roommates on the WallsRoommates on the Walls
Roommates on the Walls

Meredith, Sam, Erica and Alex


20th February 2008

Erica, my love--this is soo exciting! I love looking at your pictures and reading about Italy...I so wish I could be there!! Miss you boo boo!! <3 Vicky

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb