Magnificant Cinque Terre Coast


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Livorno
May 15th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cinque TerreCinque TerreCinque Terre

One of the Small Villages
Overnight we crossed the Gulf de Lyon to Livorno, Italy. We decided to take a tour that would head north along the rugged coastline to a place called Le Cinque Terre (The 5 lands). There are 5 villages along the coast perched high in the hills that are only connected by footpaths and a train. The tour bus could not go from town to town and had to let us off at one end where we began to hike the Love Trail or the “Via della’amore” along with about a zillion other people. As we moved along the trail it began to thunder and lightning and pour buckets of rain. We had umbrellas, which were pretty ineffective with all the wind and rain but there was nothing to do but continue on. As we were going along the cliff edge, 200 feet above the sea, single file with our shoes soaked, the thunder pounding and the lightning striking and an metal umbrella in hand, I had the thought for just a moment that this might not be too smart But on we trudged, bedraggled rats that we were. ;-) FINALLY we reached an overcrowded train station and began the trek through the tunnels to the platform, packed in like sardines. About then we remembered that our tour guide told us to watch out for Gypsies who are … you guessed it… pickpockets! Geez… hopefully there isn’t a Gypsy dressed as an old foggie from a cruise ship or as a teenager with tattoos and piercings as that’s all that’s around us. But…... all went well and after a great pasta lunch, we finally got on the train and headed for another of the villages. Despite the deluge, the villages were outrageously beautiful, with small shops, narrow streets and picturesque views of the sea through the fog and mist.
This was the “adventure du jour” ;-) After a 2 hour bus ride, we’re back at the ship; shoes are drying and have set sail for Civitavecchia- Rome- Old City. This is the last day of our “first” cruise and only 425 of us are staying on the ship (about 2500 new passengers join us tomorrow). Tomorrow for us, it’s out into the Tuscan countryside for a little Olive Oil tasting.



Advertisement



15th May 2010

Sorry about the rain
We are really sick of the rain. So sorry your one day in CT was so yucky. Today we will go to an island in the mediterranean-- we are going to the Isola di Giglio for an overnight stay. We are going with the Pro Loco (chamber of commerce of Pienza)..... gosh.... did I already write this to you????? I'm feeling deja vu all over again..... We'll be back tomorrow night. I just wrote to Luisa asking her if you and she had connected for your trip to Giulianova. She told me she has given you the name of someone who lives there, who speaks English. Bene!!! Love your blogs!!! keeps them rolling!!!!
15th May 2010

news on the home front
Hi Jean and Cope, Love hearing of your adventures. I had a wonderful time in Maryland for the bar mitzvah week-end of Diane and Eric's adopted son (nephew). Elaine was able to go also, so it was very nice for me to have all three daughters together and for them to have some time together. Now back to the reality of next Tuesday's $.01 tax increase vote, which will determine if Elaine has a job next year, or not. Janet and Diane flying today to Istanbul for a Smithsonian cruise ending in Venice, that Diane is teaching on, and could take a friend. Love, Sandy
15th May 2010

Lions and Tigers and Bears!
OK! So! You nearly lost a guy overboard, diverted to Bermuda to avoid a death at sea, been attacked by monkeys (we have photographic evidence) got double-pick-pocketed, and now you probably have pneumonia from the downpour! Man, I wish WE were on this trip!! Maybe you better get chest X-rays.

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb