Easter Party at Sea


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Livorno
April 14th 2009
Published: April 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

CS:
Sunday 12 April: We continued to enjoy good weather throughout the afternoon, and had a wonderful view of the Spanish coastline all the way from Almeria to Cartagena and beyond. We were called over the loudspeaker to attend the party at 5.30. I presented the picture of cranes which I had completed to the Captain; it is dedicated with a label:
‘SHIP SHAPES at SUNSET’
Everything interesting happens after dark
To the Captain and crew of Rickmer Seoul in appreciation of a truly enjoyable adventure.

He seemed pleased with the gesture and said he would hang it in the ship’s conference room. We all received parcels of Easter eggs. I’m not sure we need more chocolate, but who knows what cravings the long haul to Jakarta will give rise to. The food included two types of baked custard for dessert which given my declared penchant for the stuff was a pleasant surprise. The noise of the karaoke finally drove me away but not before we had had a long interesting conversation with the Captain (who is Ukrainian) and the carpenter (who is Romanian) about our various Easter traditions. We also learned that both the 2IC the ‘Chief’ (who is counting the days till he can see his 8 month old daughter again) and the Chief Engineer will be leaving the ship in Livorno. We sailed into the Gulf of Valencia while we were at the party but saw little of the Balearic Islands because by then it was dark.
By Monday 13 April: we are abeam the Bay of Lions and the French coast having cleared the Balearic Islands, but the sea is lumpy and there is a big swell, largely from the stern. We can see nothing but the churning ocean and misty horizon even though the sky is cloudless. The motion is not too uncomfortable but moving around anywhere must be done with caution. We expect to get to dock in Livorno tomorrow morning; the captain is aiming to take the pilot on board at 8am.

PP:
Back to the rock’n’roll! But otherwise good weather, which is expected to ease as we pass beyond the Bay of Lions later. Should have a nice couple of days in a new place - Livorno. Looking forward to some good Italian tucker before braving the next tree weeks or so of ship’s cooking! After Livorno comes Port Said, Suez Canal and the Red sea, but no planned stops until Jakarta, then to Singapore.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Helping the CaptainHelping the Captain
Helping the Captain

At the Easter Party


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0693s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb